HPTAG & Maintenance and Repair Grants Awarded March 2016 by the Connecticut Trust for Historic Preservation
For Immediate Release
March 28, 2016
Contact: Erin Marchitto
The Connecticut Trust for Historic Preservation approved Historic Preservation Technical Assistance Grants, and Maintenance and Repair Grants totaling $313,867 to 28 municipalities and nonprofit organizations. The grants are matching and will make possible a minimum initial investment of $627,734 in these historic sites.
These grants, intended to encourage and support community efforts in planning for the preservation, restoration, and rehabilitation of historic buildings and places, are part of the Trust’s technical assistance program in collaboration with and with generous funding from the Connecticut General Assembly and the State Historic Preservation Office, Department of Economic and Community Development, through the Community Investment Act.
The grants went to:
Bristol, American Clock & Watch Museum $5,250 for predevelopment planning for the adaptive reuse of the Quinlan House (1890).
Burlington, Congregational Church of Burlington (1836) $13,000 for exterior repair and paint.
Danbury, City of Danbury $20,000 Octagon House (1853) feasibility study and condition assessment for rehabilitation.
Danielson, Temple Beth El Preservation Society $12,250 for electrical system upgrades for safety and capacity. The temple is a significant example of mid-century modern architecture 1951 and represents an important part of post-WWII immigrant history.
Darien, Darien Historical Society $3,500 for Bates-Scofield House (mid 1700s) - capital needs assessment.
Darien, First Congregational Church $10,175 for a capital needs assessment.
East Litchfield, East Litchfield Village Improvement Society & East Litchfield Chapel (1868) $7750 for window repair.
Enfield, Enfield Congregational Church (1849) $10,000 for exterior carpentry repair and painting.
Farmington, First Church of Christ Congregational 1652 Meetinghouse (1771) $10,000 for exterior carpentry repairs and repainting, roof and gutter repairs at the meetinghouse. The meetinghouse, built by local architect-builder Judah Woodruff in 1771, is an outstanding building at the center of the Farmington historic district.
Groton, Groton Congregational Church $8925 for a Condition assessment 1902 Old English fieldstone meetinghouse.
Hampton, Connecticut Audubon - Trail Wood (1806) - Edwin Way Teale Memorial Sanctuary, capital needs assessment, re-use plan for buildings. $19,265. Trail Wood has dual significance as an early house and as the residence of a noted 20th C. naturalist and author Edwin Way Teale.
Hartford, Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd $10,000 for stained glass window restoration at Caldwell Colt Memorial Parish House (1895), a signature building in the Coltsville National Historic Park.
Hartford, Faith Congregational Church $9,000 for a condition assessment of Windsor Avenue Congregational Church (1872).
Hartford, Holy Trinity Church $15,000 for Holy Trinity Church rectory (1900) repair and paint exterior trim.
Hartford, Upper Albany Main Street Program $2,000 for State Register nomination Stanley P. Rockwell Co. (1921).
Mansfield, Mansfield Historical Society $16,012 for condition assessment of the society's museum and research library located in the old Town Hall ( 1843) and former Town Office Building (1935). NR- Spring Hill Historic District.
Naugatuck, St. Michael's Episcopal Church (1875) $15,000 for stained glass window restoration.
New Haven, Westville Village Renaissance Alliance $10,000 for pre-development planning for West Rock Theatre aka Lyric Hall (1913) located on Whalley Avenue Westville Village NR district
New London, New London Landmarks $15,565 for Barrows Building (1925) capital needs assessment, remediation, restoration planning. Building is vacant and in need a full rehab; will be using the historic tax credit.
New London, St. James Episcopal Church (1847) $10,000 for interior plaster repair at the prominent brownstone church on Whale Oil Row, designed by leading architect Richard Upjohn.
New Milford, New Milford Cemetery Association $1250 for Structural engineering analysis of Egyptian holding vault (c. 1840 & 1921). The Egyptian holding vault was moved to New Milford from Simsbury in 1921.
New Milford, New Milford Historical Society $10,000 Knapp House (1770-1815) - structural analysis, Phase II.
Norwich, Christ Episcopal Church (1849) $13,000 for electrical system upgrades to address safety and fire hazards. The Gothic Revival-style brownstone church, also designed by Richard Upjohn - is a prominent landmark in the Chelsea Parade Historic District.
Stamford, Highland Green Foundation $20,000 for "Fish Church" - condition assessment of First Presbyterian Church complex (1954) designed by architect Wallace K Harrison. Nation Historic Landmark status is pending.
Stony Creek, Church of Christ Congregational (1901) $13,000 for exterior carpentry repair, paint and foundation repair.
Torrington, Northwest CT Association for the Arts, Inc. $10,000 for Capital needs assessment for Warner Theater (1931).
Windsor, Grace Episcopal Church $15,000 for Phase II slate roof replacement at the Tuttle House (parish house) designed by architect George Keller (1865).
Woodstock, First Congregational Church (1821) $6,925 for steeple repair.