Contact: Erin Marchitto
**For Immediate Release**
Connecticut Trust for Historic Preservation announce awards of Historic Preservation Technical Assistance Grants: September 2014
Earlier this month, the Connecticut Trust approved Historic Preservation Technical Assistance Grants, and Maintenance & Repair Grants totaling $ 209,902 to 21 municipalities and nonprofit organizations. The grants will make possible a minimum initial investment of $419,804 in these historic sites.
The grants, intended to encourage and support community efforts in planning for the preservation, restoration, and rehabilitation of historic buildings and places, are part of the Trust’s technical assistance program, in collaboration with and with generous funding from the Connecticut General Assembly and the State Historic Preservation Office, Department of Economic and Community Development, through the Community Investment Act. The grants went to:
Ansonia, Derby Historical Society was awarded up to $7,200 for condition assessment of Gen. David Humphreys House (1698).
Ashford, The Town of Ashford was awarded up to $15,000 to make exterior repairs to Tremko House (1773).
Avon, The Town of Avon was awarded up to $10,067 for window restoration at Pine Grove Schoolhouse (1865).
Bethel, First Congregational Church of Bethel (1865) was awarded up to $15,000 for repairs to the bell and clock towers.
Danbury, The City of Danbury was awarded up to $20,000 for plans and specifications for the stabilization of Hearthstone Castle (1895-99) in Tarrywile Park.
East Woodstock, East Woodstock Congregational Church (1834) was awarded up to $2,500 for condition assessment and restoration plan for deteriorated portico columns at the church entrance.
Greenwich, Greenwich Preservation Trust was awarded up to $14,350 for feasibility study for the relocation of the Thomas Lyon House (c. 1695).
Haddam Neck, Haddam Neck Congregational Church (1873-4) was awarded up to $15,000 for new cedar roofing.
Hartford, St. Peter’s Catholic Church (1889) was awarded up to $8,750 for emergency stabilization of the bell tower.
Hartford, South Park Inn, Inc. was awarded up to $11,100 for condition assessment of the South Park Methodist Church (1874, 1957) which now functions as a homeless shelter.
Hebron, St. Peter’s Episcopal Church (1825) was awarded up to $15,000 for restoration of stained glass windows.
Lebanon, Connecticut Daughters of the American Revolution was awarded up to $9,000 for condition assessments of the Jonathan Trumbull House (1740) in Lebanon and the Oliver Ellsworth Homestead (1780) in Windsor.
Killingworth, The Town of Killingworth was awarded $935 to repair foundation sill at the Horace Parmelee House (1847).
Madison, The E.C. Scranton Memorial Library was awarded up to $7,000 for condition assessment of the E.C. Scranton Memorial Library (1899).
New London, St. James Episcopal Church (1847) was awarded up to $15,000 for slate roof and copper gutter repairs.
New Haven, East Rock Institute was awarded up to $7,500 for a condition assessment of 251 Dwight Street.
New Haven, Wooster Square Conservancy was awarded up to $9,250 to develop preservation guidelines for residents in the Wooster Square National Register Historic District.
New Milford, Harrybrooke Park was awarded up to $11,100 for preservation planning of the main house (1942) and landscape.
Orange, The Town of Orange was awarded up to $13,000 for lathe and plaster at the Bryan-Andrew House (1740).
Redding, The Town of Redding was awarded up to $4,500 for chimney foundation repair at Lonetown Manor House (1786).
Voluntown, The Town of Voluntown was awarded up to $5,250 for stabilization of the Methodist Meetinghouse (c. 1840).
For more information on grants, please contact Jane Montanaro, Preservation Services Officer at email@example.com. To schedule a press event/check presentation at one of these sites, please contact Erin Marchitto, Communications Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.