Contact: Erin Marchitto
**For Immediate Release**
Connecticut Trust for Historic Preservation announce awards of Historic Preservation Technical Assistance Grants
In October, the Connecticut Trust approved Historic Preservation Technical Assistance Grants, and Maintenance & Repair Grants totaling $165,000 to 10 municipalities and nonprofit organizations. The grants will make possible a minimum initial investment of $330,000 in these historic sites.
The grants, intended to encourage and support community efforts in planning for the preservation, restoration, and rehabilitation of historic buildings and places, are part of the Trust’s technical assistance program, in collaboration with and with generous funding from the Connecticut General Assembly and the State Historic Preservation Office, Department of Economic and Community Development, through the Community Investment Act. The grants went to:
Bridgeport, ABCD, Inc. and The Mary & Eliza Freeman Center for History and Community, Inc., were awarded up to $20,000 for an Historic Structure Report and a repair and stabilization plan for the Mary Freeman House (1848), an Italianate double house and the Eliza Freeman House (1848), a Greek Revival half house.
Bridgeport, Holy Ghost Russian Orthodox Church was awarded up $20,000 to perform a condition assessment of the neo-Byzantine style church designed by Harry E. Koerner of Bridgeport and built in 1937.
Derby, City of Derby The City of Derby was awarded up to $20,000 for design development drawings for Part 2 of the State Historic Preservation Tax Credit. The City of Derby has been involved in the restoration of the opera house for the past 20 years. Once complete the building will one of the largest restoration projects in the Lower Naugatuck Valley.
Durham, Town of Durham The Town of Durham was awarded up to $20,000 for pre-construction planning to incorporate two historic houses located in the Durham Historic District into the town’s plans for a public safety complex. The houses, located at 37 Main Street (1877, 1881) and 38 Main Street (1883) are representative of modest late 19th century domestic architecture and mark the southern entrance to the busy historic district.
Hamden, The Town of Hamden was awarded up to $5,000 for stabilization and roof repairs at the Maselli Farm barn.
Hartford, The City of Hartford and Elizabeth Park Conservancy were awarded up to $15,000 for maintenance and repair to the park’s Caretaker’s Cottage.
Hartford, The Stowe Center The Stowe Center was awarded up to $20,000 for architectural and engineering services required for environmental and climate control improvements to the Harriet Beecher Stowe House (1871), a National Historic Landmark, and design of a fire suppression system.
Newtown, Town of Newtown and the Edmond Town Hall Board of Managers were awarded up to $15,000 for window repair and energy efficiency upgrades at Newtown Town Hall.
South Windsor, Town of South Windsor The Town of South Windsor was awarded up to $15,000 for a feasibility study of the Priest Farm property to accommodate the South Windsor FOOD Alliance. The 74 acre property (with 1823 farmhouse, barns and silo) provides excellent facilities for a central location for the FOOD Alliance and for significant educational programs.
Weston, The Town of Weston and Friends of Lachat were awarded up to $15,000 for exterior repairs to the David Godfrey farmhouse.
For more information on grants, please contact Jane Montanaro, Preservation Services Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org. To schedule a check presentation at one of these sites, please contact Erin Marchitto, Communications Manager at email@example.com.