This rambling farmhouse, built on the west side of the Farmington Canal right of way, dates to about 1830. It was built by Asahel Peck, who was first listed as a farmer in the Scott Swamp District of Farmington in the 1830 census. The farm remained in the Peck family through most of the nineteenth century. The state acquired the property sometime before 1928 from the Tarplin family
The house is of post and beam construction and was built in three sections over time. It is an example of a simple farmhouse that grew and evolved during the mid-nineteenth century. Starting as a small, center-chimney, one-and-a-half story dwelling, it was enlarged and remodeled several times. The house survives as an unpretentious working farmhouse. It looks much as it did at the turn of the century.
A recessed, one-and-a-half-story kitchen was added, and then a one-story milk room. Each section of the house has a gable roof. Six-over-six window sashes were uses throughout, but were replaced by two-over-two sashes in much of the original section.
The interior features a Greek Revival fireplace surround and paneled doors. The kitchen wing has wainscoting. The first floor contains seven rooms, including a bathroom and kitchen. The second floor contains six rooms. The house has an attic and basement. The floor space adds up to a total of 2,670 square feet.
The house is offered for $1.00, if removed from the property. Potential buyers must demonstrate the ability to remove the structure from the site, reconstruct it on their own lot, and leave the former site cleared and clean. For an application, please contact Wanda Torres, States Parks Division, at 860-418-5963 or email@example.com. The deadline is June 30, 2006.