Connecticut Trust For Historic Preservation

HPX: May/ June 2013

back to May 2013 listings

Historic Properties Exchange
May – June 2013


TWO OPPORTUNITIES IN SOUTH WINDSOR


1146 Main Street (c.1850)
South Windsor


Currently under threat of demolition, this property is available for consideration with the option of rehabilitation on site or relocation (preferably within the Windsor Farms district).  The Town of South Windsor's Demolition Delay Committee (DDC) voted to delay approval of a demolition permit for 1146 Main Street and agreed to work with the home's owners to reach a mutually agreeable solution that would preserve the structure.

The handsome Greek Revival house is framed by corner pilasters and a pedimented gable that make it a shorthand version of an ancient Greek temple. The chunky, square moldings give it strong geometry and a dignified presence on the street. It is currently a multi-family dwelling with 5 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms in approximately 2,490 total square feet.  Photos show a side porch which may no longer exist.

An excerpt of the statement of significance of the Windsor Farms Historic District as noted in the National Register nomination:
The Windsor Farms Historic District, the historic center of South Windsor, is a well preserved, rural-residential community of great historic significance. It is one of the few farming villages remaining in Connecticut still devoted to tobacco agriculture.  Unlike the more typical historic rural areas of the state where the historic components are widely scattered, the Windsor Farms Historic District is a highly concentrated, cohesive entity. Not only does it contain a significant group of farmhouses, barns, and other specialized buildings related to tobacco agriculture, it also encompasses approximately 1,500 acres of contiguous historic farmland which has been under intensive cultivation for more than 300 years. In addition to the more than 50 tobacco barns or sheds, the district contains well-preserved examples of major domestic building types and styles dating from 1694 to 1930, including a particularly fine, representative group of nineteenth-century houses built in the Greek Revival, Italianate, Queen Anne, and Colonial Revival styles.

A Connecticut Trust Circuit Rider is working to gather some of critical information about the condition of the house and the possible cost of remediation.  In the meantime, the DDC asks for assistance in identifying individuals or organizations that might have an interest in rehabilitation of the house.

Contact: Gregory Farmer, Connecticut Circuit Rider (203) 464-7380 or circuitrider@cttrust.org.

John Watson House (1788)
1876 Main Street
South Windsor

Former bed and breakfast (9 bedrooms, 8 full bathrooms) located in the East Windsor Hill historic district is available for purchase. Master builder Thomas Hayden designed and built this three-story mansion for John Watson, a prominent merchant. Description of the property from the National Register of Historic Places nomination:

Sited prominently at the northeast corner of Main Street and Sullivan Road, this three-story, wood-frame Georgian/Federal-Style mansion is a commanding presence. The heavy modillions under the eaves and the massiveness of the house contrast with the delicacy of the pedimented entranceway and the classical treatment of the central facade bay with its tripartite windows. A remarkable feature of this house is the use of a formal entrance on all four elevations. They are virtually identical with a pediment and fanlight, although only the main doorway has sidelights.

To view the complete nomination, go to http://nrhp.focus.nps.gov and search East Windsor Hill Historic District, South Windsor, Connecticut.  Outbuildings on the site: carriage house, garage and outhouse.

Contact: Gregory Farmer, Connecticut Circuit Rider (203) 464-7380 or circuitrider@cttrust.org.


Submissions for the July-August 2013 issue must be received by Friday, June 21, 2013.