Connecticut Trust For Historic Preservation

Gazebo in Willington

back to listings

19th Century Gazebo for Museum or Nonprofit Organization  Estate heirs are seeking to donate a late 19th century gazebo to a museum, historical organization or related nonprofit. Consideration will also be given to a town for use on a green or similar public space.  Accepting organization will be responsible for all moving and restoration costs and for maintenance expenses. The gazebo is to be donated with the agreement that it is for public use and is not to be sold to a private party. A letter of commitment is requested by June 30, 2007.  New property owners are allowing until July 31st for removal, but may provide a brief extension if needed. 

 In its current condition, the gazebo was appraised as a $10,000 donation with a replacement value of approximately $25,000. That value will increase once restoration is complete. Moving and restoration will cost approximately $50,000. The original roof finial is in storage until a suitable recipient is found for the structure. 

The gazebo was part of a residential complex in Willington, Connecticut, built between 1880 – 1895. It included a two story dwelling, barn, carriage house and other outbuildings.  The gazebo was over the well and stood at the end of the driveway, along Route 32. The shingles on the gazebo roof are the same style as those that were on the front side of the carriage house/barn. 

Between 1965 and 1969 the State of Connecticut Highway Department widened a section of Route 32 adjacent to the property. As a result the house and carriage house/barn were destroyed. The gazebo and its original grey granite foundation were moved a few hundred feet north to the current location. When the structure was restored in 1976 the name Louis A. Pettie was found under the roof shingles. It is not known if this was the original 19th century builder or the name of a carpenter from a later restoration or repair. 

Photos of the gazebo and related 19th century buildings are available, as well as photos of the move in 1968 and the restoration in 1976. They will be digitized and made available to the organization taking the gazebo. Also, State Highway Department maps should show the structures in their original location. 

All inquiries should be sent to Loretta Rivers at lrivers@lojeriproductions.org; telephone 860-291-0180. 

HPX: March/April 2007, Gazebo in Willington

back to listings

19th Century Gazebo for Museum or Nonprofit Organization Estate heirs are seeking to donate a late 19th century gazebo to a museum, historical organization or related nonprofit. Consideration will also be given to a town for use on a green or similar public space. Accepting organization will be responsible for all moving and restoration costs and for maintenance expenses. The gazebo is to be donated with the agreement that it is for public use and is not to be sold to a private party. A letter of commitment is requested by June 30, 2007. New property owners are allowing until July 31st for removal, but may provide a brief extension if needed.

In its current condition, the gazebo was appraised as a $10,000 donation with a replacement value of approximately $25,000. That value will increase once restoration is complete. Moving and restoration will cost approximately $50,000. The original roof finial is in storage until a suitable recipient is found for the structure.

The gazebo was part of a residential complex in Willington, Connecticut, built between 1880 – 1895. It included a two story dwelling, barn, carriage house and other outbuildings. The gazebo was over the well and stood at the end of the driveway, along Route 32. The shingles on the gazebo roof are the same style as those that were on the front side of the carriage house/barn.

Between 1965 and 1969 the State of Connecticut Highway Department widened a section of Route 32 adjacent to the property. As a result the house and carriage house/barn were destroyed. The gazebo and its original grey granite foundation were moved a few hundred feet north to the current location. When the structure was restored in 1976 the name Louis A. Pettie was found under the roof shingles. It is not known if this was the original 19th century builder or the name of a carpenter from a later restoration or repair.

Photos of the gazebo and related 19th century buildings are available, as well as photos of the move in 1968 and the restoration in 1976. They will be digitized and made available to the organization taking the gazebo. Also, State Highway Department maps should show the structures in their original location.

All inquiries should be sent to Loretta Rivers at lrivers@lojeriproductions.org; telephone 860-291-0180.