Connecticut Trust For Historic Preservation

Heritage House, Redding

back to listings

Built around 1795, this two-story house is located to the west of Redding Green in the Redding Center Historic District, which is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Standing on a small rise, Heritage House faces another eighteenth-century dwelling across the street with protected rolling fields stretching to the horizon behind it. Heritage House abuts a historic cemetery on one side and the police station to the rear. A twenty-foot buffer separates the lot from municipal property and is protected with a conservation easement.

The house rests on a stone foundation and has a wood shingle exterior, painted white. A one-story, entry porch with a gable roof forms the focal point of the symmetrical facade. Thin columns support the arched entryway. The windows have six-over-six sashes with simple surrounds.

 Some alteration took place in the mid-nineteenth century. An Italianate-style bay window projects from the west side of the house, and a two-story addition with a flat roof stands to the rear. A historic barn with board and batten siding is located behind the house.

 Used for many years as a senior center, the Town of Redding is now offering Heritage House for sale in a sealed bid process. Bid packages are available from the First Selectman's office. A structural engineer has conducted an analysis of the building, which was funded by a grant from the Connecticut Trust. His report is part of the bid package. The house must be used as a single-family residence. It is structurally sound, but needs updating and repairs recommended by the engineer.

The house is being sold with preservation easements, which will protect its historic integrity. The town will hold an open house for potential buyers on Friday, September 8, 2006. The engineer will be available to answer questions. Contact: Ms. Anita Arnold, Office of the First Selectman, 203-938-2002. Minimum bid: $430,000.