Doody’s Farm (1698)
394 Foxon Road
Located on Route 80 in North Branford, this historic farmstead is being marketed as a potential development site. Possibly the oldest house in North Branford, the site contains a 3 bedroom farmhouse and four outbuildings. The outbuildings have been photographed and included in the Connecticut Trust’s Historic Barns of Connecticut database (www.connecticutbarns.org). The property would likely qualify for listing on the Connecticut State Register of Historic Places. According to www.realtor.com, this is the first time the property has been made available for sale.
Contact: Dow Realty Company, 945 Grand Avenue, New Haven; (203) 776-0000 or email email@example.com.
Mill Building (1901)
501 Middle Turnpike East
This building was historically known as the Glastonbury Knitting Mills when the mill produced men’s long woolen underwear at the beginning of the 20th century. By the 1920s, the garment had lost popularity leading to the close of the mill. The building has since seen service as an antique store, drug store, bar, printing plant, furniture store, shoe store, warehouse, bookshop, and is now available for redevelopment. Features include a great location on the Manchester Green with easy access to Main Street, Rt. 84 and Rt. 384; also brick masonry construction, tower with mansard roof, more than 30,000 square feet of space, high ceilings, wood flooring, and more. Rehabilitation may qualify for historic preservation tax credits.
Contact: Barry Cyr (860) 645-1776, firstname.lastname@example.org
Barn (c. 1880)
Large gentleman’s stable is available for relocation. Still standing, the barn measures 30’ x 40’ (plus cupola) and a 25’ x 30’ addition. Intact are the original horse stalls, flooring, decorative woodwork, tack closets with hardware, and wall sheathing. All woodwork has original, untouched painted surfaces.
Contact: William Gould Architectural Preservation, LLC at 860-974-3448 or visit the website http://historic-architecture.com/historicbarns.html.
Deadline for submissions to the March-April 2014 issue of Historic Properties Exchange is February 21, 2014.