Historic Properties Exchange
January – February 2013
Andrews-Olney House (c. 1800)
Currently owned by the Southington YMCA and under temporary injunction preventing demolition until January 2013, the Andrews-Olney House on North Main Street is available for purchase and rehabilitation. The property is located in the Southington Center National Register District and identified as a contributing resource. It offers an opportunity for residential or commercial uses. Non-profit organizations interested in the property may qualify for pre-development planning grants from the Connecticut Trust for Historic Preservation and restoration funds from the State Historic Preservation Office/Department of Economic and Community Development.
Contact: Gregory Farmer, Connecticut Circuit Rider, (203) 464-7380 or email@example.com
John Watson House (1788)
1876 Main Street
Former bed and breakfast (9 bedrooms, 8 full bathrooms) located in the East Windsor Hill historic district is available for purchase. Thomas Hayden designed and built this three-story mansion for John Watson, a prominent merchant. Description of the property from the National Register of Historic Places nomination:
Sited prominently at the northeast corner of Main Street and Sullivan Road, this three-story, wood-frame Georgian/Federal-Style mansion is a commanding presence. The heavy modillions under the eaves and the massiveness of the house contrast with the delicacy of the pedimented entranceway and the classical treatment of the central facade bay with its tripartite windows. A remarkable feature of this house is the use of a formal entrance on all four elevations. They are virtually identical with a pediment and fanlight, although only the main doorway has sidelights.
To view the complete nomination, go to http://nrhp.focus.nps.gov and search East Windsor Hill Historic District, South Windsor, Connecticut. Outbuildings on the site: carriage house, garage and outhouse.
Contact: Gregory Farmer, Connecticut Circuit Rider (203) 464-7380 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Gideon Seeley House (ca. 1812)
This early 19th century vernacular cottage was owned by several of Brookfield's prominent families and has been occupied throughout its history. It has had some additions over the years including architectural details that date from the Victorian period on both the interior and exterior. It measures approximately 1,825 square feet and is available for relocation and rehabilitation to interested parties.
Contact: Jacqueline A. Salame, AIA
Cohanzie School (1923)
40, 44, 48 Dayton Road
Last call for proposals to rehabilitate the former Cohanzie School in Waterford. Designed by local architect Louis H. Goddard and contractor Joseph A. St. Germain in 1923, the school on its 11-acre site was added to the Connecticut State Register of Historic Places in June 2012 making it a candidate for possible tax credits and grants. Located near the Crystal Mall.
Contact: Robert N. Nye, Town Clerk & Municipal Historian (860) 444-5829 or email@example.com
Memorial Boulevard School
The City of Bristol is accepting sealed responses related to the reuse of the property known as Memorial Boulevard Middle School. Sealed responses will be accepted by the Purchasing Department, on behalf of the Real Estate Committee of the City Council, until February 1, 2013 at 1:00 pm. The City reserves the right to waive informalities in proposals, and to accept any or all proposals, if in its judgment the best interests of the City will be served. Further information can be obtained online at the website below.
Contact: The City of Bristol
111 North Main Street
Bristol, CT 06010
Tel (860) 584-6195, Fax (860) 584-6171
Curtiss Farms barn
Barn available for dismantling and removal from the property. See listing in the Historic Barns of Connecticut statewide survey at http://www.connecticutbarns.org/index.cgi/52393.
Contact: Bill Curtiss (518) 439-3921, firstname.lastname@example.org, or Scott Curtiss (860)302-0314, SACurtiss@cox.net
Submissions for the March- April 2013 issue must be received by Friday, February 22, 2013.