The Town of Wallingford is seeking proposals for the sale and development of an approximately 3000 sq ft house on a 6,875 sq ft lot, zoned for limited business use. The property is located in the center of Wallingford and will be available for inspection on January 16th and January 30th 2008 at 10 am. The house was built in 1900 and is a contributing resource in the Wallingford Center Historic District.
The request for Proposal (RFP) describing the property and selection process is available for pickup at the Purchasing Department in room 206 of the Town Hall or by calling (203) 294-2115.
The deadline for sealed proposals will be received by the Purchasing Department until March 3rd, 2008 at 2pm., prevailing local time.
This well-preserved 1957 Fodero diner dodged the wrecking ball and the owner is looking for a high traffic spot in New Haven, or nearby, to place it. If you have a lot in mind, please contact Helmi Elsayed “Mo” Ali for more information at 203-562-5582.
This English barn, located at 69 House Street on Glastonbury, is offered for $1.00, if removed from the property. Potential buyers must demonstrate the ability to remove the barn from the site and reconstruct it on their own lot.
Contact: Lauren Dickenson at 860-513-5000
This 1929 French eclectic house was designed by J. Alden Twachtman and his brother Quentin (sons of American Impressionist painter, John Henry Twachtman), for their brother Godfrey. The Twachtman brothers designed and built over two dozen homes in the mid-Greenwich area that are noted for their elegance and incorporation of natural surroundings. The view from the house overlooks many of the sites that John Henry Twachtman painted, paintings that now hang in many museums. The interior of 27 Vineyard Lane features carved mahogany paneling – an element that can be found in other Twachtman designed homes. The land was formerly owned by the Estate of William Rockefeller, brother of John D. Rockefeller. The house is sited on a 3.5 acre lot and is being marketed as a teardown.
Contact: Dominick DeVito (203)-661-3433
Westbrook (c. 1790)
This center chimney cape-style house, constructed in the last quarter of the 18th century, is located on a quiet cul-de-sac near the Menunketesuck River adjacent to 20 acres of undeveloped land being considered for incorporation into the Stewart B. McKinney National Wildlife Refuge.
The antique house is in untouched condition and has nine rooms, three fireplaces, and original 18th century woodwork, as well fine early 19th century woodwork from the Greek Revival period. The first floor kitchen retains the majority of its 18th century elements, including the hearth, bake oven, and the decorative fireplace surround. The rear of the house features an early 20th century ell that offers the potential for renovation as a modern kitchen or a master suite.
The Connecticut Trust for Historic Preservation and the National Trust for Historic Preservation recently supported professional structural and historical studies of the house that will aid future buyers in planning for preservation and restoration of the building.
The Pratt-Stannard house will be sold with 2 acres of surrounding land. For more information, contact Alicia Betty or Lisa Bassani at The Trust for Public Land, (203)-777-7367.
This mid 19th century barn is in imminent danger of demolition; the demolition delay period runs out in April. The original structure is 24’ by 36’ with hand hewn posts and beams. The turn of the century addition is 24’ by 18’. The barn is located at 226 West Rd and is offered for $1.00, if removed from the property. Potential buyers must demonstrate the ability to remove the barn from the site and reconstruct it on their own lot.
Contact: The New Canaan Preservation Alliance - Mimi Findlay 203-966-4617 or Robin Beckett 646-256-8500.
The Holley-Williams House was built circa 1768 and is a fine example of Federal architecture. Its past use as a museum (Salisbury Association) is ending and it sits on over 4 acres of land with barns, an ice house, outhouse and carriage house. The front portico with its Ionic columns leads into a wide entrance hall with a curving staircase, a downstairs parlor, an exhibit room, and the original keeping room. The dining room overlooks an old-fashioned walled garden. Many architectural elements in the 1808 addition, such as the main entry door, door surround and fanlight, and interior woodwork, came from designs found in Asher Benjamin’s pattern books. The open space of the parcel consists primarily of gardens, located next to the house, and a field/orchard at the rear. Preservation restrictions are held by Historic New England.
Contact: Robin Leech: (860) 435-9891 or email@example.com
This 3.93 acre complex located at 6 Mine Hill Road has four buildings on it, including a circa 1830 railroad depot, a circa 1830 tobacco processing barn, a large wood shed (24 x 100), and a three-bay garage.
The site is bordered by the Roxbury Land Trust and the Shepaug River, including a waterfall (which is a part of the property). The station has been closed since 1948.
This is a great opportunity to incorporate a historically significant site with a viable commercial venture. A National Register nomination is in process, which would allow the buildings to qualify for the federal rehabilitation tax credit.
Contact: Bonnie Bevans (860) 927-1819 or firstname.lastname@example.org
This single family house is listed in the Tax Assessor's field card as 1700, although the Norwalk Historic Resource Inventory lists it as 1740. This is an opportunity to restore a pre-revolutionary war house.
Contact: Joe Metcalfe, CT Homes LLC at 203-789-1111 or email@example.com
Individually listed on the National Register, the Shelley house is exceptionally well-preserved, featuring such early elements as feather-edged wall sheathing and exposed framing members with well-crafted chamfers and stops. Most impressive is the clear evidence that the house was actually built in several stages, beginning in the late 17th or early 18th century as a one-room, two-story structure with an end wall of stone, then gaining a second two-story section and finally a rear lean-to.
Contact: Alison Gould 203-245-0456, ext 24