Connecticut Trust For Historic Preservation

Historic Properties Exchange

HPX: March/April 2007, Citizen’s Block Redevelopment, Vernon

The Town of Vernon is accepting proposals for the purchase and redevelopment of property known as Citizens’ Block building located at 28-36 Park Place in the Rockville section of Vernon.

The Citizens Block is a stone building located on a corner in the center of Downtown Rockville facing Central Park, bordered on both sides by 19th-century buildings of similar style, scale and period of construction which interrelates visually in a harmonious way. It provides a period example of the use of Italianate architectural features on a mid-19th century commercial/ residential block. The building is comprised of 15,000 square feet, three to four first floor commercial storefronts, and apartment/office locations on the second and third floor. This building was constructed in 1879 by Builder John G. Bailey, and Architect S.W. Lincoln of Hartford, CT and is a contributing structure to the Rockville National Register of Historic Places District.

Interested individuals and firms should request a copy of the Qualifications Statement and Project Details from the Town Administrator, Town of Vernon, 14 Park Place, Vernon , CT 06066. The Town reserves the right to reject any and all proposals or cancel this procurement at any time it is deemed in the best interest of the Town.

The Town will conduct a pre-proposal informational meeting and site walk on March 22, 2007 at 10:00 AM, at the Vernon Senior Center Lobby, Park Place, Vernon.

The submission deadline will be 11 AM on Thursday, March 29, 2007

HPX: March/April 2007, 21 Old Mill Road, Middletown

This circa 1780s cape has two rooms up, two down. The rear 19th century additions include two first floor rooms, a storage room, and one bay garage.

The exterior has most of the original trim, clapboard and ship-lapped siding preserved under asphalt siding. The interior has all period doors and most period hardware intact. It has three fireplaces with period surrounds and a beehive oven in the keeping room. The parlor has horizontal, plain wainscoting with some plank and some raised paneling. The second floor chambers have plastered walls and wide pine flooring.

The house is offered for $1.00, if removed from the property. Potential buyers must demonstrate the ability to remove the home from the site and reconstruct it on their own lot. Interested parties must show commitment to the project by March 31st, 2007.

Contact: Mary Abong’o at 860-636-2629, 860-346-0265 or

Listed: $1.00

HPX:January/February 2007, English Bank Barn, Farmington

This c1780 English bank barn located at 37 Mountain Spring Road needs a new home. It has 11 inch posts with scribe rule marriage marks. The barn is in very good condition. An attached barn is dated c1820. The c1820 barn is probably past rehabilitation, but can be used for parts, particularly the clapboard. The owner suggests an $8,000.00 landscaping fee after the potential buyer demonstrates the ability to remove the structure from the site and reconstruct it on their own lot.

Contact: Chris Raferty at 973-214-1506 or

Listed: $1.00 plus landscaping fee

HPX: January/February 2007, 1866 Italianate House in New London

This house at 66 Franklin Street is at the corner of Hempstead Street in the Hempstead Street Historic District. The area is in the midst of significant revitalization and most of the homes are part of a mid-19th century neighborhood built during New London’s whaling era. The house on its corner lot has recently been purchased by the Shiloh Baptist Church. Shiloh Baptist Church has offered to donate the house to New London Landmarks, but it must be moved to another location. The house is offered for $1.00, if removed from the property. Landmarks is searching for someone who can move the house to another local site or take the house apart for moving to a more distant site. Potential buyers must demonstrate the ability to remove the home from the site and reconstruct it on their own lot.

Contact: Sandra Kersten Chalk, New London Landmarks, Executive Director, 860-442-0003 or

Listed: $1.00

HPX: January/February 2007, 18 Old Farm Road, Darien

This 18th century farmhouse in Tokeneke (Darien) on 1.76 acres of prime land. It is one of the original four homes built in Tokeneke. The property is bordered by stone walls. The interior boasts exposed beams and original wide plank floors. It has an exquisite new master bath and a playroom above the garage/barn.

Contact: Leslie Caruso at

Listed: $2,175,000

HPX: January/February 2007, Seth Wetmore House, Middletown

This elegant and imposing mansion was built in 1746 on a hillside site with views to Middletown and the Connecticut River. Wetmore was a successful merchant, judge and landowner, and his house boasts decorative details found in the homes of many of the Connecticut Valley elite known as the “River Gods.” On the outside, an impressive scroll-pedimented doorway dominates the facade. Indoors, the painted parlor, one of the great treasures of American decorative art, was removed to the Wadsworth Atheneum in 1988 and replaced with a replica, but other historic interiors remain, boasting wide-planked floors, fine paneling, an ornate stair and 8 fireplaces. The house is individually listed on the National Register of Historic Places, making it potentially eligible for federal rehabilitation tax credits.

The Wetmore house offers over 7,000 square feet, with 10 bedrooms, 3 full baths and 2 kitchens. Its generous size and proximity to Wesleyan University, make a bed-and-breakfast a possible reuse option. Though livable, the house needs extensive repairs, and the Connecticut Trust listed it in 2003 as one of the Most Important Threatened Historic Places in Connecticut.

With its exceptional architectural quality, the Wetmore house has the potential to be one of Connecticut's historic showplaces.

Contact: Betsy Purtell 203-640-4440 or

Listed: $335,900

HPX: March/April 2007, InterRoyal Mill in Plainfield

The InterRoyal Mill site was established in 1906, and was used for the manufacturing of textiles and furniture and later for storage.  In 2005, most of the mill burned down and the site was cleaned up by EPA and DEP.  A small and architecturally interesting building remains along with an intricate iron fence. Some bricks and beams from other buildings may be able to be reused. The site has 16+acres; is on the Providence/Worcester rail line which is willing to consider adding passenger travel once again. 

For more complete information, please contact Liz Swenson, Director of Economic Development, Plainfield at 860-230-3016.  A Tax Lien Sale is planned for mid-April.  The Town is interested in your proposals and will provide detailed site information which we anticipate will help in developing a creative reuse plan.

HPX March/April 2007 9-11 Liberty Street, Middletown

This large Greek Revival structure, once the Methodist Mission Chapel, faces north on Liberty Street just off Main Street in Middletown's mixed-used North End. Located in the Main Street National Register for Historic Places District as a contributing resource, this building sits on a high brick foundation, and is large in scale and mass. It was constructed in 1853 and is currently a four family residential building.

The intent is to sell the structure to a potential buyer for $1.00 who will remove it using their own resources to a site that they own, after they have provided the necessary documentation to prove their capacity to carry out the project.

Deadline is May 15, 2007

Contact: Michiel Wackers

Deputy Director of Planning, Conservation and Development City of Middletown
245 DeKoven Drive
Middletown, CT 06457


Tax Assessor Card-