Connecticut Trust For Historic Preservation

Historic Properties Exchange

HPX July/August 2007 9-11 Liberty Street, Middletown

SAVED! The City of Middletown has decided to move the building to a nearby building site. Please contact Todd Levine at the Trust for additional information

9-11 Liberty Street, Middletown ConnecticutThis large Greek Revival structure, once the Methodist Mission Chapel, faces north on Liberty Street just off Main Street in Middletown's mixed-used North End. Located in the Main Street National Register for Historic Places District as a contributing resource, this building sits on a high brick foundation, and is large in scale and mass. It was constructed in 1853 and is currently a four family residential building. The City of Middletown is seeking to sell the structure to a potential buyer for $1.00 who will remove it using their own resources to a site that they own, after they have provided the necessary documentation to prove their capacity to carry out the project.

Contact: Michiel Wackers
Deputy Director of Planning, Conservation and Development City of Middletown
245 DeKoven Drive
Middletown, CT 06457
860-344-3425

Tax Assessor Card- http://middletown.univers-clt.com/view_property_R.php?account_no=R03386&series_card=1

HPX July/August 2007 Gazebo in Willington

19th Century Gazebo for Museum or Nonprofit Organization

Estate heirs are seeking to donate a late 19th century gazebo, located on RT 32 in Willington, to a museum, historical organization or related nonprofit. Consideration will also be given to a town for use on a green or similar public space. Accepting organization will be responsible for all moving and restoration costs and for maintenance expenses. The gazebo is to be donated with the agreement that it is for public use and is not to be sold to a private party. A letter of commitment is requested by July 31st, 2007.

For additional information see listing under March/April 2007 HPX. Contact: Loretta Rivers at lrivers@lojeriproductions.org; telephone 860-291-0180.

HPX July/August 2007 3808 Redding Road, Fairfield

SOLD AND SAVED!
For more information, please contact Todd Levine. An update will
be printed in the next issue of CPN”.

18th century farmhouse in Fairfield


This 1769 vernacular Georgian-period farmhouse located at 3808 Redding Road in upper Greenfield Hill has three fireplaces and 1 ½ baths. It includes 18 acres of subdividable land. Although the house is being marketed as a teardown, this is an excellent opportunity to restore an 18th century home and profit from development. The house and out-buildings are being sold "as is." Soil and perc test are available.

Contact: Krista Alecia 203-610-3550

List: $1,650,000

http://higginsgroup.idxre.com/idx/detail.cfm?cid=4591&bid=20&pid=98330758

HPX May/June 2007, Penfield Reef Lighthouse

NATIONAL HISTORIC LIGHTHOUSE PRESERVATION ACT OF 2000NOTICE OF AVAILABILITY
PENFIELD REEF LIGHTHOUSE
OFFSHORE OF FAIRFIELD COUNTY, CONNECTICUT
MAY 18, 2007

The light station property described on the attached sheet has been determined to be excess to the needs of the United States Coast Guard. Pursuant to the National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act of 2000, 16 U.S.C. 470, this property is being made available at no cost to eligible entities defined as Federal Agencies, state and local agencies, non-profit corporations, educational agencies, or community development organizations, for education, park, recreation, cultural, or historic preservation purposes.In the event no applicant is approved for the conveyance of a historic lightstation pursuant to section 308 of the act, the historic light station shall be offered for sale. (Historic covenants will be included in all deeds)

The site is off-shore and contains no acreage. No submerged lands will be conveyed under the Quitclaim Deed. Lighthouse is accessible by water craft only.Potential applicants should be advised that the State of Connecticut does not have a submerged lands leasing program or other administrative process for conveying the states interest in submerged lands on which the lighthouse is located, and such conveyance may require an act of the Connecticut General Assembly. Applicants are encouraged to contact the Office of Long Island Sound Programs to discuss their interest in acquiring the light station. David Blatt at 860-424-3034

Any eligible entity with an interest in acquiring the described property for a use consistent with the purposes stated above, should submit a letter of interest to the address listed below by July 18, 2007.Letters of interest should include:
• Name of property
• Name of eligible entity
• Point of contact, title, address, phone and email
• Non-profit agencies must provide a copy of their state-certified articles of incorporation

Eligible entities that submit a letter of interest will be sent an application and given anopportunity to inspect the property. Building inspectors and/or contractors may accompany the applicant on the site visit. The completed application must be submitted to the Department of Interior within 90 days after the Federal Government site inspection.The Department of Interior will review applications and select an eligible entity to receive the property. The General Services Administration will complete the conveyance to the selected recipient For more information on the disposal of lighthouses, please visit our web site at http://www.cr.nps.gov/maritime/nhlpa/nhlpa.htm.

Letters of interest should be sent to:
Saundra A Robbins
GSA, Property Disposal Division
10 Causeway Street, Room 925
Boston, MA 02222
(617) 565-5710
Send a copy of the letter of interest to:
Karen Senich
Interim Director and Deputy State Historic Preservation Officer
The Amos Bull House
59 South Prospect Street
Hartford, CT 06106

HPX March/April 2007 9-11 Liberty Street, Middletown

This large Greek Revival structure, once the Methodist Mission Chapel, faces north on Liberty Street just off Main Street in Middletown's mixed-used North End. Located in the Main Street National Register for Historic Places District as a contributing resource, this building sits on a high brick foundation, and is large in scale and mass. It was constructed in 1853 and is currently a four family residential building.

The intent is to sell the structure to a potential buyer for $1.00 who will remove it using their own resources to a site that they own, after they have provided the necessary documentation to prove their capacity to carry out the project.

Deadline is May 15, 2007

Contact: Michiel Wackers

Deputy Director of Planning, Conservation and Development City of Middletown
245 DeKoven Drive
Middletown, CT 06457

860-344-3425

Tax Assessor Card- http://middletown.univers-clt.com/view_property_R.php?account_no=R03386&series_card=1

HPX: March/April 2007, Gazebo in Willington

19th Century Gazebo for Museum or Nonprofit Organization Estate heirs are seeking to donate a late 19th century gazebo to a museum, historical organization or related nonprofit. Consideration will also be given to a town for use on a green or similar public space. Accepting organization will be responsible for all moving and restoration costs and for maintenance expenses. The gazebo is to be donated with the agreement that it is for public use and is not to be sold to a private party. A letter of commitment is requested by June 30, 2007. New property owners are allowing until July 31st for removal, but may provide a brief extension if needed.

In its current condition, the gazebo was appraised as a $10,000 donation with a replacement value of approximately $25,000. That value will increase once restoration is complete. Moving and restoration will cost approximately $50,000. The original roof finial is in storage until a suitable recipient is found for the structure.

The gazebo was part of a residential complex in Willington, Connecticut, built between 1880 – 1895. It included a two story dwelling, barn, carriage house and other outbuildings. The gazebo was over the well and stood at the end of the driveway, along Route 32. The shingles on the gazebo roof are the same style as those that were on the front side of the carriage house/barn.

Between 1965 and 1969 the State of Connecticut Highway Department widened a section of Route 32 adjacent to the property. As a result the house and carriage house/barn were destroyed. The gazebo and its original grey granite foundation were moved a few hundred feet north to the current location. When the structure was restored in 1976 the name Louis A. Pettie was found under the roof shingles. It is not known if this was the original 19th century builder or the name of a carpenter from a later restoration or repair.

Photos of the gazebo and related 19th century buildings are available, as well as photos of the move in 1968 and the restoration in 1976. They will be digitized and made available to the organization taking the gazebo. Also, State Highway Department maps should show the structures in their original location.

All inquiries should be sent to Loretta Rivers at lrivers@lojeriproductions.org; telephone 860-291-0180.

HPX: March/April 2007, InterRoyal Mill in Plainfield

The InterRoyal Mill site was established in 1906, and was used for the manufacturing of textiles and furniture and later for storage. In 2005, most of the mill burned down and the site was cleaned up by EPA and DEP. A small and architecturally interesting building remains along with an intricate iron fence. Some bricks and beams from other buildings may be able to be reused. The site has 16+acres; is on the Providence/Worcester rail line which is willing to consider adding passenger travel once again.

For more complete information, please contact Liz Swenson, Director of Economic Development, Plainfield at 860-230-3016. A Tax Lien Sale is planned for mid-April. The Town is interested in your proposals and will provide detailed site information which we anticipate will help in developing a creative reuse plan.