Connecticut Trust For Historic Preservation

Historic Properties Exchange

To list a property, to learn more about the properties listed, or to subscribe to Connecticut Preservation News contact Jane Montanaro,  at jmontanaro@cttrust.org or 203-562-6312.

Real Estate advertised is subject to the Federal Housing Act of 1968. Neither advertisers nor the Connecticut Trust are responsible or liable for any misinformation, misprints, or typographical errors contained in Historic Properties Exchange.

THE HISTORIC PROPERTIES EXCHANGE IS BEING REDESIGNED AND WILL BE UPDATED BY FALL OF 2017!

HPX January/February 2008 - 41 South Main Street, Wallingford

The Town of Wallingford is seeking proposals for the sale and development of an approximately 3000 sq ft house on a 6,875 sq ft lot, zoned for limited business use. The property is located in the center of Wallingford and will be available for inspection on January 16th and January 30th 2008 at 10 am. The house was built in 1900 and is a contributing resource in the Wallingford Center Historic District.

The request for Proposal (RFP) describing the property and selection process is available for pickup at the Purchasing Department in room 206 of the Town Hall or by calling (203) 294-2115.

The deadline for sealed proposals will be received by the Purchasing Department until March 3rd, 2008 at 2pm., prevailing local time.

HPX January/February 2008 - The Shelley House, Madison, CT

Individually listed on the National Register, the Shelley house is exceptionally well-preserved, featuring such early elements as feather-edged wall sheathing and exposed framing members with well-crafted chamfers and stops. Most impressive is the clear evidence that the house was actually built in several stages, beginning in the late 17th or early 18th century as a one-room, two-story structure with an end wall of stone, then gaining a second two-story section and finally a rear lean-to.

http://ctmls.mlxchange.com/Pub/EmailView.asp?r=572642644&s=HFD&t=HFD

Contact: Alison Gould 203-245-0456, ext 24

HPX January/February 2008 - The Holley-Williams House, 15 Millerton Road, Lakeville, CT

The Holley-Williams House was built circa 1768 and is a fine example of Federal architecture. Its past use as a museum (Salisbury Association) is ending and it sits on over 4 acres of land with barns, an ice house, outhouse and carriage house. The front portico with its Ionic columns leads into a wide entrance hall with a curving staircase, a downstairs parlor, an exhibit room, and the original keeping room. The dining room overlooks an old-fashioned walled garden. Many architectural elements in the 1808 addition, such as the main entry door, door surround and fanlight, and interior woodwork, came from designs found in Asher Benjamin’s pattern books. The open space of the parcel consists primarily of gardens, located next to the house, and a field/orchard at the rear. Preservation restrictions are held by Historic New England.

http://www.robinleechrealestate.com/listman/listings/l0034.html

Contact: Robin Leech: (860) 435-9891 or robin@robinleechrealestate.com

HPX January/February 2008-27 Vineyard Lane, Greenwich

This 1929 French eclectic house was designed by J. Alden Twachtman and his brother Quentin (sons of American Impressionist painter, John Henry Twachtman), for their brother Godfrey. The Twachtman brothers designed and built over two dozen homes in the mid-Greenwich area that are noted for their elegance and incorporation of natural surroundings. The view from the house overlooks many of the sites that John Henry Twachtman painted, paintings that now hang in many museums. The interior of 27 Vineyard Lane features carved mahogany paneling – an element that can be found in other Twachtman designed homes. The land was formerly owned by the Estate of William Rockefeller, brother of John D. Rockefeller. The house is sited on a 3.5 acre lot and is being marketed as a teardown.

http://www.dftllc.com/residential/connecticut/greenwich/?property=27-vineyard-lane

Contact: Dominick DeVito (203)-661-3433

HPX November/December 2007 2 Historic Barns at 72 Old Field Lane, Milford

These two historic barns in Milford are in imminent danger of demolition. The older of the two is an English barn with hand-hewn, square rule constructed posts and beams measuring 12 x 30 and the other is a New England barn measuring 30 x 45 (pictured).

The barns are offered for $1.00, if removed from the property. If you are interested in either, please contact Chris Grosso at 203-394-8282 or chris@grossocustombuilders.com or Todd Levine at 203-562-6312 or tlevine@cttrust.org immediately.

 

HPX November/December 2007 Alice Ball House, New Canaan

The Alice Ball House located at 523 Oenoke Ridge was designed by Philip Johnson, master architect of the ‘Harvard Five’ mid-century modernists. Referred to as his ‘little jewel’, this sculpture of modern architecture is sited on the ‘Ridge’ known for its estates. Built in 1953, the property encompasses 2.197 acres, the main Alice Ball House, a guest cottage, a walled secret garden, courtyards, and extensive mature plantings. As with many Modernists buildings in the area, the threat of a teardown is very real.

Contact: Prudy Parris (203) 966-2633

HPX November/December 2007 The Holley-Williams House, 15 Millerton Road, Lakeville

The Holley-Williams House was built circa 1768 and is a fine example of Federal architecture.  Its past use as a museum (Salisbury Association) is ending and it sits on over 4 acres of land with barns, an ice house, outhouse and carriage house. The front portico with its Ionic columns leads into a wide entrance hall with a curving staircase, a downstairs parlor, an exhibit room, and the original keeping room. The dining room overlooks an old-fashioned walled garden.  Many architectural elements in the 1808 addition, such as the main entry door, door surround and fanlight, and interior woodwork, came from designs found in Asher Benjamin’s pattern books. The open space of the parcel consists primarily of gardens, located next to the house, and a field/orchard at the rear. Preservation restrictions are held by Historic New England.

http://www.robinleechrealestate.com/listman/listings/l0034.html

Contact: Robin Leech: 860-435-9891 or robin@robinleechrealestate.com

HPX November/December 2007 Pratt-Stannard House, Westbrook

Pratt-Stannard House
Westbrook (c. 1790)

This center chimney cape-style house, constructed in the last quarter of the 18th century, is located on a quiet cul-de-sac near the Menunketesuck River adjacent to 20 acres of undeveloped land being considered for incorporation into the Stewart B. McKinney National Wildlife Refuge.

The antique house is in untouched condition and has nine rooms, three fireplaces, and original 18th century woodwork, as well fine early 19th century woodwork from the Greek Revival period. The first floor kitchen retains the majority of its 18th century elements, including the hearth, bake oven, and the decorative fireplace surround.  The rear of the house features an early 20th century ell that offers the potential for renovation as a modern kitchen or a master suite.

 The Connecticut Trust for Historic Preservation and the National Trust for Historic Preservation recently supported professional structural and historical studies of the house that will aid future buyers in planning for preservation and restoration of the building. 

The Pratt-Stannard house will be sold with 2 acres of surrounding land.   For more information, contact Alicia Betty or Lisa Bassani at The Trust for Public Land, (203)-777-7367.

HPX: March/April 2007, 21 Old Mill Road, Middletown

This circa 1780s cape has two rooms up, two down.  The rear 19th century additions include two first floor rooms, a storage room, and one bay garage.

The exterior has most of the original trim, clapboard and ship-lapped siding preserved under asphalt siding. The interior has all period doors and most period hardware intact. It has three fireplaces with period surrounds and a beehive oven in the keeping room. The parlor has horizontal, plain wainscoting with some plank and some raised paneling. The second floor chambers have plastered walls and wide pine flooring.

The house is offered for $1.00, if removed from the property. Potential buyers must demonstrate the ability to remove the home from the site and reconstruct it on their own lot. Interested parties must show commitment to the project by March 31st, 2007.

Contact: Mary Abong’o at 860-636-2629, 860-346-0265 or abongogma@aol.com

Listed: $1.00