Westbrook (c. 1790)
This center chimney cape-style house, constructed in the last quarter of the 18th century, is located on a quiet cul-de-sac near the Menunketesuck River adjacent to 20 acres of undeveloped land being considered for incorporation into the Stewart B. McKinney National Wildlife Refuge.
The antique house is in untouched condition and has nine rooms, three fireplaces, and original 18th century woodwork, as well fine early 19th century woodwork from the Greek Revival period. The first floor kitchen retains the majority of its 18th century elements, including the hearth, bake oven, and the decorative fireplace surround. The rear of the house features an early 20th century ell that offers the potential for renovation as a modern kitchen or a master suite.
The Connecticut Trust for Historic Preservation and the National Trust for Historic Preservation recently supported professional structural and historical studies of the house that will aid future buyers in planning for preservation and restoration of the building.
The Pratt-Stannard house will be sold with 2 acres of surrounding land. For more information, contact Alicia Betty or Lisa Bassani at The Trust for Public Land, (203)-777-7367.
This mid 19th century barn is in imminent danger of demolition; the demolition delay period runs out in April. The original structure is 24’ by 36’ with hand hewn posts and beams. The turn of the century addition is 24’ by 18’. The barn is located at 226 West Rd and is offered for $1.00, if removed from the property. Potential buyers must demonstrate the ability to remove the barn from the site and reconstruct it on their own lot.
Contact: The New Canaan Preservation Alliance - Mimi Findlay 203-966-4617 or Robin Beckett 646-256-8500.
This 3.93 acre complex located at 6 Mine Hill Road has four buildings on it, including a circa 1830 railroad depot, a circa 1830 tobacco processing barn, a large wood shed (24 x 100), and a three-bay garage.
The site is bordered by the Roxbury Land Trust and the Shepaug River, including a waterfall (which is a part of the property). The station has been closed since 1948.
This is a great opportunity to incorporate a historically significant site with a viable commercial venture. A National Register nomination is in process, which would allow the buildings to qualify for the federal rehabilitation tax credit.
Contact: Bonnie Bevans (860) 927-1819 or email@example.com
This single family house is listed in the Tax Assessor's field card as 1700, although the Norwalk Historic Resource Inventory lists it as 1740. This is an opportunity to restore a pre-revolutionary war house.
Contact: Joe Metcalfe, CT Homes LLC at 203-789-1111 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Individually listed on the National Register, the Shelley house is exceptionally well-preserved, featuring such early elements as feather-edged wall sheathing and exposed framing members with well-crafted chamfers and stops. Most impressive is the clear evidence that the house was actually built in several stages, beginning in the late 17th or early 18th century as a one-room, two-story structure with an end wall of stone, then gaining a second two-story section and finally a rear lean-to.
Contact: Alison Gould 203-245-0456, ext 24
This 1929 French eclectic house was designed by J. Alden Twachtman and his brother Quentin (sons of American Impressionist painter, John Henry Twachtman), for their brother Godfrey. The Twachtman brothers designed and built over two dozen homes in the mid-Greenwich area that are noted for their elegance and incorporation of natural surroundings. The view from the house overlooks many of the sites that John Henry Twachtman painted, paintings that now hang in many museums. The interior of 27 Vineyard Lane features carved mahogany paneling – an element that can be found in other Twachtman designed homes. The land was formerly owned by the Estate of William Rockefeller, brother of John D. Rockefeller. The house is sited on a 3.5 acre lot and is being marketed as a teardown.
Contact: Dominick DeVito (203)-661-3433
HPX: January/February 2008
The Historic Properties Exchange is supported by Pelli Clarke Pelli Architects.
This 3.93 acre complex located at 6 Mine Hill Road has four buildings on it, including: a circa 1830 railroad depot, a circa 1830 tobacco processing barn, a large wood shed (24 x 100), and a three-bay garage.The site is bordered by the Roxbury Land Trust and the Shepaug River, including a waterfall (which is a part of the property). The station has been closed since 1948. This is a great opportunity to incorporate a historically significant site with a viable commercial venture.
4http://www.bbevansrealestate.com/mylisting1014.html Contact: Bonnie Bevans (860) 927-1819 or email@example.com
The Alice Ball House located at 523 Oenoke Ridge was designed by Philip Johnson, master architect of the ‘Harvard Five’ mid-century modernists. Referred to as his ‘little jewel’, this sculpture of modern architecture is sited on the ‘Ridge’ known for its estates. Built in 1953, the property encompasses 2.197 acres, the main Alice Ball House, a guest cottage, a walled secret garden, courtyards, and extensive mature plantings. As with many Modernists buildings in the area, the threat of a teardown is very real.
Contact: Prudy Parris (203) 966-2633
This 20th century bank barn on Putnam Avenue is slated for demolition. It is wood framed and has tongue & groove sheathing. The barn may be used for materials in another project. The barn is offered for $1.00, if removed from the property. Potential buyers must demonstrate the ability to remove the structure from the site and leave the former site cleared and clean.
Contact: Chris Marchand (203) 287-7032 or CMarchand@Hamden.com