According to Oxford Assessment records, the house was built1878 although appears on the 1868 Beers atlas. 108 Oxford Road boasts two end chimneysand an elaborate portico with four pilasters. This two and one-half story whiteclapboard house, with overhanging roof is in imminent danger of demolition. Anew doctor’s office has been approved to be built on the site. The expecteddemolition delay will give potential buyers until September 2008 to remove thehouse from the site for reconstruction on their own lot. The house is offeredfor $1.00.
Contact: SallyD’Souza 203-929-7339
This 1770 Saltbox sits directly on the 14thfairway of the Madison Country Club. The building has been vacant for over 4years and has a leaky roof. The house has recently been put on the market andthe fear is the cost of renovations will outweigh the character of the buildingin favor of a demolition for a McMansion.
Contact: ToddGould, William Pitt Sotheby's International Realty at 203.738.0237 or email@example.com
Individuallylisted on the National Register of Historic Places, the Captain JohnOsborn House sits among other historic houses on rural King's HighwayWest, a section of the road between New Yorkand Boston thatwas used for monthly mail service as early as 1672. The core ofthe original house, dating from the late 1680s, is two-over-tworooms, with a central fireplace on the ground floor. Built in compatiblestyle, two newer wings with modern kitchen and bedrooms, date fromthe 1950s. Historic homes like this are always in danger ofdemolition due to the desirability of the lot, especially in Fairfield County.
Contact: Hope R. Kern, GRI (203)259-5048 or Mike DeLorenzo, GRI, CRS (203) 218-2719
at MunsonReal Estate or firstname.lastname@example.org
(Photo credit: HughSmith Photographer)
Westbrook (c. 1790)
This center chimney cape-style house, constructed in the last quarter of the 18th century, is located on a quiet cul-de-sac near the Menunketesuck River adjacent to 20 acres of undeveloped land being considered for incorporation into the Stewart B. McKinney National Wildlife Refuge.
The antique house is in untouched condition and has nine rooms, three fireplaces, and original 18th century woodwork, as well fine early 19th century woodwork from the Greek Revival period. The first floor kitchen retains the majority of its 18th century elements, including the hearth, bake oven, and the decorative fireplace surround. The rear of the house features an early 20th century ell that offers the potential for renovation as a modern kitchen or a master suite.
The Connecticut Trust for Historic Preservation and the National Trust for Historic Preservation recently supported professional structural and historical studies of the house that will aid future buyers in planning for preservation and restoration of the building.
The Pratt-Stannard house will be sold with 2 acres of surrounding land. For more information, contact Alicia Betty or Lisa Bassani at The Trust for Public Land, (203)-777-7367.
This mid 19th century barn is in imminent danger of demolition; altough the demolition delay period ran out in April, the owner is being patient and trying to do the right thing. The original structure is 24’ by 36’ with hand hewn posts and beams. The turn of the century addition is 24’ by 18’. The barn is located at 226 West Rd and is offered for $1.00, if removed from the property. Potential buyers must demonstrate the ability to remove the barn from the site and reconstruct it on their own lot.
Contact: The New Canaan Preservation Alliance - Mimi Findlay 203-966-4617 or Robin Beckett 646-256-8500.
12 Obtuse Road North,BrookfieldThe main house was built circa 1820 by Amos Williamsand a cottage was added in 1900. There is also a 20th centurygambrel barn on the 3.81 acre site. The house, which is individually listed onthe State Register for Historic Places, is in need of restoration. Although thehouse itself is in good shape, it sits on a desirable, sub-dividable lot.
Contact: DianeRocconi (203) 788-5536, or email@example.com
41 South Main Street,Wallingford
This National Register of Historic Places listed buildingwas built in the late 19th century. The building has been vacant forover a decade. RFP is available at the Town of Wallingford’s Bureau of Purchases at 45 South Street,room 206. Proposals are due July 2nd, 2008 at 2pm.
Contact: SalvatoreAmadeo 203-294-2115
HPX: July/August 2008
The Historic Properties Exchange is supported by Pelli Clarke Pelli Architects.
This single family house is listed in the Tax Assessor's field card as 1700, although the Norwalk Historic Resource Inventory lists it as 1740. This is an opportunity to restore a pre-revolutionary war house.
Contact: Joe Metcalfe, CT Homes LLC at 203-789-1111 or firstname.lastname@example.org
This 3.93 acre complex located at 6 Mine Hill Road has four buildings on it, including a circa 1830 railroad depot, a circa 1830 tobacco processing barn, a large wood shed (24 x 100), and a three-bay garage.
The site is bordered by the Roxbury Land Trust and the Shepaug River, including a waterfall (which is a part of the property). The station has been closed since 1948.
This is a great opportunity to incorporate a historically significant site with a viable commercial venture. A National Register nomination is in process, which would allow the buildings to qualify for the federal rehabilitation tax credit.
Contact: Bonnie Bevans (860) 927-1819 or email@example.com