Connecticut Trust For Historic Preservation

Historic Properties Exchange

To list a property, to learn more about the properties listed, or to subscribe to Connecticut Preservation News contact Jane Montanaro,  at jmontanaro@cttrust.org or 203-562-6312.

Real Estate advertised is subject to the Federal Housing Act of 1968. Neither advertisers nor the Connecticut Trust are responsible or liable for any misinformation, misprints, or typographical errors contained in Historic Properties Exchange.

THE HISTORIC PROPERTIES EXCHANGE IS BEING REDESIGNED AND WILL BE UPDATED BY FALL OF 2017!

HPX: September/ October 2012

Historic Properties Exchange
September – October 2012

Andrews-Olney House (c. 1800)
Southington

Currently owned by the Southington YMCA and under temporary injunction preventing demolition until January 2013, the Andrews-Olney House on North Main Street is available for purchase and rehabilitation. The property is located in the Southington Center National Register District and identified as a contributing resource. It offers an opportunity for residential or commercial uses. Non-profit organizations interested in the property may qualify for pre-development planning grants from the Connecticut Trust for Historic Preservation.

Contact: Gregory Farmer, Connecticut Circuit Rider, (203) 464-7380 or circuitrider@cttrust.org.


Old Litchfield Jail
7 North Street
Litchfield 


Surplus property owned by the State of Connecticut, the Old Litchfield Jail is available for purchase and rehabilitation. It sites in a prime real estate location on the historic Litchfield green at the corner of North Street and West Street. Portions of the three-story structure date to 1812. The Connecticut Trust for Historic Preservation, in association with Greater Litchfield Preservation Trust, funded a feasibility study for the reuse of this building which is available to interested parties.
Contact: Jane Montanaro, Preservation Services Officer, Connecticut Trust for Historic Preservation at (203)562-6312 or jmontanaro@cttrust.org.

86 Lockwood Road
Greenwich

This charming 19th-century house, available for purchase and reconstruction on your site, was carefully renovated in 1995. The house boasts a lovely living room, formal dining room, den, and family room that opens out to screened porch. A first- or second-floor master bedroom is possible, with 4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms in total. House measures approx. 2,200 square feet. It is being sold “as is” for $35,000. The buyer would be responsible for relocating the house and paying for any permits or other fees.

Contact: Debbie Benjamin at dlbenjamin2010@gmail.com.


Deadline for submission to the November/December 2012 issue of Historic Properties Exchange is October 26, 2012.

HPX: May/June 2012

Historic Properties Exchange
May – June 2012

Samuel Arnold Homestead (1780)
Haddam Neck

Built by master gunner Samuel Arnold in a Connecticut River village, this historic center-chimney house sits on a granite foundation, incorporates a double overhang, and retains original sash and interior details. Original fireplaces remain, and the chimney stack features unusual but solid construction. The front porch has recently been renovated and a new roof installed. Overall, the main structure of the house appears to be in very good condition with very little visual evidence of serious rot and decay. The electrical, plumbing and mechanical systems, however, are outdated and should be replaced. The interior is in need of cosmetic restoration and updating, but the house still retains most, if not all, of its original doors, flooring and millwork. Located less than half mile from the river, the house is available on two level acres on a quiet residential street in the community that “time forgot” of Haddam Neck.

Contact: James McHutchison at (860) 267-4671 (home) or jamesmchutchison@mac.com.


General Store (c. 1797)
Darien

This quaint waterfront property is prominently located in Darien’s historic district, Rings End Landing. History abounds in this lovingly cared for house originally built as a general store in the late 1700s by the Webb family. Enjoy wonderful views from almost every room enhanced by cool breezes skimming off the water. A glass-enclosed porch cantilevers over water. For more information, visit http://www.halstead.com/sale/ct/darien/94-rings-end-rd/house/98504771.

Contact: Pam Elliott, Halstead Property Connecticut, LLC, at (203) 656-6538 (office) or pelliott@halstead.com.


Forbes Diner (1957)
New Haven

As written in the New Haven Independent, “This 1957 diner has been sitting in a vacant lot near the corner of James and Humphrey Street since 2008, when it was removed from its decades-long home at 189 Forbes Ave… The diner is a ‘classic, top-of-the-line 1957 vintage Fodero diner,’ according to one diner fan site. The molded metal exterior features pink highlights and is topped with a double ring of neon tubes.” To view the full story written by Thomas MacMillan, go to http://www.newhavenindependent.org/index.php/archives/entry/diner_out_to_pasture/. 

Photo credit: Thomas MacMillan, New Haven Independent

Contact: Helmi “Mo” Ali, owner, at (203) 562-5582.


Commercial Building (c. 1906)
65 High Street
Enfield

This three story brick commercial building located at 65 High Street is listed on the State Register as part of the Thompsonville Historic District in Enfield. According the State Historic Preservation Office, it is currently pending for inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places as well. Currently vacant, the building has potential development as a mixed use property as commercial/retail on the first floor and office or residential uses on the second and third floors. Historic features include embossed tin ceilings and walls, 2 fireplaces, light fixtures, split staircase to the second floor and turret. Property also contains a single-family house on Wallace Street, which is included. Rehab of this property may qualify for the Town of Enfield tax abatement program or state/federal tax credits programs. For more information, view the MLS listing at http://ctmls.mlxchange.com.


Contact: Gretchen Pfieffer-Hall
    Century 21 AllPoints Realty
    265 Hazard Avenue
    Enfield, CT  06082
    Office: (860) 745-2121
             Email: gretchenph@snet.net


               
One-Room Schoolhouse
Killingworth

The Lane District Schoolhouse is one of eight one-room schoolhouses in Killingworth, probably built around 1840.  Most recently used as a local VFW post, the group has disbanded so the  State VFW would like to dispose of the land and building. The land, about a quarter of an acre, and the building could be purchased at a very reasonable price. Alternatively, the VFW may be agreeable to giving the schoolhouse to someone willing to remove and relocate it. This would also entail removal of the later addition and remediation of the site that has asbestos and lead paint concerns.

Contact: Thomas L. Lentz, Killingworth Municipal Historian, thomas.lentz@yale.edu.


Deadline for submission to the July/August 2012 issue of Historic Properties Exchange is June 22, 2012.

HPX: March/ April 2012

Historic Properties Exchange
March – April 2012

Saltbox (c. 1717)
55 Lane Street
Shelton

Antique saltbox in need of a complete restoration including all mechanicals and some structural repair. The site borders 50+ acres of land trust property on a scenic road; prominent Huntington Center location. House has 4 fireplaces, hardwood floors, built-ins, exposed beam ceilings, walk-up attic and a detached 2-car garage with a full walk up attic. Lovely views of fields and forest and an owner motivated to sell.  For more information, go to www.YouTube.com and   www.zillow.com. Search both sites using property address.


Contact: Christine or Jerry Morgan
    Home: (309) 688-3256 or Email: ondgo2@sbcglobal.net.


Commercial Building (c. 1906)
65 High Street
Enfield

This three story brick commercial building located at 65 High Street is listed on the State Register as part of the Thompsonville Historic District in Enfield. According the State Historic Preservation Office, it is currently pending for inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places as well. Currently vacant, the building has potential development as a mixed use property with commercial/retail on the first floor and office or residential uses on the second and third floors. Historic features include embossed tin ceilings and walls, 2 fireplaces, light fixtures, split staircase to the second floor and turret. Property also contains a single-family house on Wallace Street, which is included. Rehab of this property may qualify for the Town of Enfield tax abatement program or state/federal tax credits programs.

For more information, view the MLS listing at http://ctmls.mlxchange.com.


Contact: Gretchen Pfieffer-Hall
    Century 21 AllPoints Realty
    265 Hazard Avenue
    Enfield, CT  06082
    Office: (860) 745-2121
             Email: gretchenph@snet.net

Puppet House Theater
128-132 Thimble Islands Road
Branford

The Puppet House Theater, a beloved landmark in the Stony Creek/Thimble Islands National Register historic district, is available for sale. Constructed ca. 1895 as a silent movie house, the site has had a long history as a performance space for community theater groups, professional summer stock, local bands, artists, and, more recently, the famous Sicilian Puppets of Sebastiano Zappala. During WWII, however, the building was transformed for a time to accommodate a different kind of production: factory production of parachutes to aid the war effort.

Two properties on the site are being sold together as one:
#128, Puppet House Theater building (2,813 SF) and
#132, a multi-purpose building (598 SF). 
The property has potential for commercial and/or residential reuse.

Contact: Joel Gavin, GRI CCS, Senior Commercial Associate
                H. Pearce Commercial Real Estate
                393 State Street
                North Haven, CT  06473
                (203) 281-9321
                jgavin@hpearce.com
    


One-room schoolhouse
Salem

This one-room Oakdale schoolhouse is available for relocation. The property is one of eight one-room schoolhouses in the area. This schoolhouse was in service until about 1939 when the town constructed a modern school. A saltbox with a lot of charm, it has been used for the last 20 years as an herbery and for flower arranging. Structure is 24ft wide by 15ft long and in good condition. Own a piece of history for a low price! Best offer. Buyer must demonstrate ability to remove structure from the site and reconstruct it on a new site.

Contact: Angela Murawski at (860) 859-2034 or dxlxm@aol.com.

Deadline for submission to the May-June 2012 issue of Historic Properties Exchange is April 27, 2012.

HPX: January/ February 2012

Historic Properties Exchange
January – February 2012

Puppet House Theater
128-132 Thimble Islands Road
Branford

The Puppet House Theater, a beloved Stony Creek/Thimble Islands National Register Historic District landmark, is available for sale.  Constructed ca. 1895 as a silent movie house, the site has had a long history as a performance space for community theater groups, professional summer stock, local bands, artists, and, more recently, the famous Sicilian Puppets of Sebastiano Zappala. During WWII, however, the building was transformed for a time to accommodate a different kind of production: factory production of parachutes to aid the war effort.

Two properties on the site are being sold together as one:
#128, Puppet House Theater building (2,813 SF) and
#132, a multi-purpose building (598 SF). 
The property has potential for commercial and/or residential reuse.

Contact: Joel Gavin, GRI CCS, Senior Commercial Associate
                H. Pearce Commercial Real Estate
                393 State Street
                North Haven, CT  06473
                (203) 281-9321
                jgavin@hpearce.com
    


One-room schoolhouse
Salem

This one-room Oakdale schoolhouse is available for relocation.  The property is one of 8 one-room schoolhouses in the area. This schoolhouse was in service until about 1939 when the town constructed a modern school.  A saltbox with a lot of charm, it has been used for the last 20 years as an herbery and for flower arranging.  Structure is 24ft wide by 15ft long and in good condition.  Own a piece of history for a low price!  Best offer.  Buyer must demonstrate ability to remove structure from the site and reconstruct it on a new site.

Contact: Angela Murawski at (860) 859-2034 or dxlxm@aol.com.

Terry House on the Plymouth Green (c. 1800)
14 North Street, Plymouth

Situated on a knoll overlooking the Plymouth Green and opposite the First Congregational Church, the Terry House (c.1800) enjoys a prominent place in Plymouth Village and in the history of Terryville. First owned by the Terry family, renowned for their clock making, the home is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as part of the Plymouth Village Historic District, and purportedly a station on the Underground Railroad. Currently configured as an approved 2-family residence, the house includes a 4-bedroom, +/-2100 sq. ft. unit in the front of the house and a 3-bedroom, +/-1300 sq. ft. unit in the rear. Historically significant millwork and chestnut floors are evident throughout the house.

The 1.22-acre wooded site contains over 200 feet of frontage on North Street, with the house positioned nicely above and away from the street. Also included on the parcel are two outbuildings: an attached 2-story woodshed and a 1500 sq. ft. detached 3-car garage with a full second floor. Zoning allows for continuation of the residential use or possible conversion to professional offices. Municipal sewer, water and natural gas are all available. 

The owner is asking $279,900, and will consider owner financing, as well as a joint venture in the rehab of this impressive residence. Particular consideration will be given to an historic restoration for affordable housing.

Contact: Vance Taylor, owner, 860-482-9695 or 860-480-3307 (cell) 

To tour the property and discuss the investment opportunities mentioned above,
all interested parties are cordially invited to attend an
OPEN HOUSE
SATURDAY, JANUARY 21, 2012
1:00 pm – 3:00 pm

Deadline for submission to the March-April 2012 issue of Historic Properties Exchange is February 24, 2012.

HPX: Nov/Dec 2011- Terry House on the Plymouth Green (c. 1800)

 Situated on a knoll overlooking the Plymouth Green and opposite the First Congregational Church, the Terry House (c.1800) enjoys a prominent place in Plymouth Village and in the history of Terryville. First owned by the Terry family, renowned for their clock making, the home is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as part of the Plymouth Village Historic District, and purportedly a station on the Underground Railroad. Currently configured as an approved 2-family residence, the house includes a 4-bedroom, +/-2100 sq. ft. unit in the front of the house and a 3-bedroom, +/-1300 sq. ft. unit in the rear. Historically significant millwork and chestnut floors are evident throughout the house. The 1.22-acre wooded site contains over 200 feet of frontage on North Street, with the house positioned nicely above and away from the street. Also included on the parcel are two outbuildings: an attached 2-story woodshed and a 1500 sq. ft. detached 3-car garage with a full second floor. Zoning allows for continuation of the residential use or possible conversion to professional offices. Municipal sewer, water and natural gas are all available.   The owner is asking $279,900, and will consider owner financing, as well as a joint venture in the rehab of this impressive residence. Particular consideration will be given to an historic restoration for affordable housing.  

Contact: Vance Taylor, owner, 860-482-9695 or 860-480-3307 (cell)   To tour the property and discuss the investment opportunities mentioned above, all interested parties are cordially invited to attend an

OPEN HOUSE

SATURDAY, JANUARY 21, 2012

1:00 pm – 3:00 pm 

HPX: Nov/Dec 2011- Terry House on the Plymouth Green (c. 1800)

Situated on a knoll overlooking the Plymouth Green and opposite the First Congregational Church, the Terry House (c.1800) enjoys a prominent place in Plymouth Village and in the history of Terryville. First owned by the Terry family, renowned for their clock making, the home is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as part of the Plymouth Village Historic District, and purportedly a station on the Underground Railroad. Currently configured as an approved 2-family residence, the house includes a 4-bedroom, +/-2100 sq. ft. unit in the front of the house and a 3-bedroom, +/-1300 sq. ft. unit in the rear. Historically significant millwork and chestnut floors are evident throughout the house. The 1.22-acre wooded site contains over 200 feet of frontage on North Street, with the house positioned nicely above and away from the street. Also included on the parcel are two outbuildings: an attached 2-story woodshed and a 1500 sq. ft. detached 3-car garage with a full second floor. Zoning allows for continuation of the residential use or possible conversion to professional offices. Municipal sewer, water and natural gas are all available. The owner is asking $279,900, and will consider owner financing, as well as a joint venture in the rehab of this impressive residence. Particular consideration will be given to an historic restoration for affordable housing.

Contact: Vance Taylor, owner, 860-482-9695 or 860-480-3307 (cell) To tour the property and discuss the investment opportunities mentioned above, all interested parties are cordially invited to attend an

OPEN HOUSE

SATURDAY, JANUARY 21, 2012

1:00 pm – 3:00 pm

HPX: Sept/Oct 2011 - 41 Old Mill Lane, West Hartford

41 Old Mill Lane, West Hartford

Ready for restoration! This lovely turn of the century house was built in 1906 and added onto in 1923. Enjoy picturesque seasonal views of a waterfall and stream from this 3 bedroom antique, located on a dead end street. Hardwood floors run throughout the house. Additional amenities include a side screened-in porch, galley kitchen, wood trim and built-in cabinetry. Property was recently connected to city water and sewer.

Contact: Linda Kautz Macy at (203) 245-2183 for more information.

HPX: Sept/Oct 2011 - 123 Maple Street, Ellington

Timothy Pitkin Store (1812)123 Maple Street, Ellington Listed as a contributing resource in the Ellington Center National Register District, this 2-story wood frame Greek Revival general store with added wrap around Colonial Revival porch is available for sale to a preservation-minded buyer. The house has 13 rooms, including two apartments. Attached to the house is a 2-1/2 story barn and shed. The barn, documented in the Connecticut Trust’s online survey, was constructed in 1850 with a shed addition c. 1900. Still housed in the barn is the large wooden wheel formerly used to hoist grain up to the second floor. In addition to serving as the local general store, the building also served as the town post office from 1829-1837.

PROPERTY IS NOT BEING OFFERED AT THIS TIME.

To view the Connecticut Trust’s survey listing of 123 Maple Street, Ellington, visit Historic Barns of Connecticut at www.connecticutbarns.org , then search the database by town and street address.