Puppet House Theater
128-132 Thimble Islands RoadBranford
The Puppet House Theater, a beloved Stony Creek/Thimble Islands National Register Historic District landmark, is available for sale. Constructed ca. 1895 as a silent movie house, the site has had a long history as a performance space for community theater groups, professional summer stock, local bands, artists, and, more recently, the famous Sicilian Puppets of Sebastiano Zappala. During WWII, however, the building was transformed for a time to accommodate a different kind of production: factory production of parachutes to aid the war effort. Two properties on the site are being sold together as one: #128, Puppet House Theater building (2,813 SF) and #132, a multi-purpose building (598 SF). The property has potential for commercial and/or residential reuse.
Contact: Joel Gavin, GRI CCS, Senior Commercial Associate
H. Pearce Commercial Real Estate
393 State Street
North Haven, CT 06473
This one-room Oakdale schoolhouse is available for relocation. The property is one of 8 one-room schoolhouses in the area. This schoolhouse was in service until about 1939 when the town constructed a modern school. A saltbox with a lot of charm, it has been used for the last 20 years as an herbery and for flower arranging. Structure is 24ft wide by 15ft long and in good condition. Own a piece of history for a low price! Best offer. Buyer must demonstrate ability to remove structure from the site and reconstruct it on a new site.
Contact: Angela Murawski at (860) 859-2034 or email@example.com.
Photo credit: Lampel Photography
Laurel Lodge was designed in 1912 by noted Architect John Vredenburgh Van Pelt (1874-1962) at the peak of the Arts and Crafts movement. Commanding 2.3 acres directly on the Saugatuck River it has sweeping views of the Long Island Sound. The master bedroom, called the "Japanese Room," is a small masterpiece with an original suite of custom-made furniture. The fervent teardown culture in Westport, (go to www.WestportNow.com “Tear Down of the Day” for a sampling), poses a real threat to his desirable waterfront property. Michael Glynn Architects has prepared a detailed restoration budget to aid interested buyers. Asking price: $4.995 million.
Contact: Emily Gordon atColdwell Banker / Riverside, 472 Riverside Avenue Westport, CT 06880Cell: (203) 451-6432, Office: (203) 227-8427.
Photo Courtesy of the Enfield Historical Society
REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS FORTHE DISPOSITION OF THE FORMER SCHOOLHOUSE
LOCATED AT 2 BROAD BROOK ROAD, ENFIELD, CT
Sealed proposals for the disposition named above will be received at the Office of the Director of Finance until 10:00 a.m., Wednesday, March 16, 2011. Thereafter, proposals will be opened in public and read aloud. Specifications and proposal documents may be obtained from the Office of the Town Manager, Town Hall, 820 Enfield Street, Enfield, CT 06082, telephone number (860) 253-6351 or the Town's website, www.enfield-ct.gov. The Town of Enfield reserves the right to accept or reject any, all, or any part of proposals, to waive formalities or informalities and to award the proposal deemed to be in the best interests of the Town. Lynn Nenni, Director of FinanceEOE/AA
Barn located at 672 Strongtown Road is available for relocation. Salvage is not an option. Parties must demonstrate ability to dismantle the barn and rebuild it on their own site. Barn will be available for approximately 6 weeks. Interested parties should contact the owner immediately. Available for: $1.00. To view more information on this barn in the Connecticut Trust’s survey of Connecticut Barns, go to http://www.connecticut barns.org and search “Southbury” then “Strongtown Road.”
Contact: Jonathan Turner (203) 359-7657
Potsdam Village houses, Coltsville
Located across from Colt Park, these four well-maintained properties include a single family home (built in 1847), two 2-family homes on one lot (built in 1834 and 1900, respectively), a .63 acre vacant lot (the site of the Potsdam Village Community Center in the mid-1800s) and another 2-family home (built 1866).
National Register of Historic Places Inventory – Nomination Form written in 1978 by George R. Adams, vividly describes these houses.
Potsdam Cottages…are built in a half- timbered, or modified chalet style, supposedly reminiscent of the vernacular style of the German hamlet from which Colt imported nearly 40 craftsmen. Some of these nine have been somewhat disguised by modern siding, yet all retain their original shape and profile. The best have exposed first story red brick walls set into half timber framing joined by wooden pegs. The buildings are one and a half stories with gabled roof. They all originally had exterior stairways with porches on both levels and a small balcony outside the second story window on the gable end. The second story was covered with vertical board and batten clapboarding which was painted white. The wide overhanging eaves, as well as the windows were trimmed in typical 19th century woodwork patterns.
The four properties are offered as a package at $400,000 or may be purchased individually. Currently, the seven apartments provide a below market monthly income of $3,550. The properties are located at 41 & 45 Curcombe Street and 65, 73 & 75 Hendricxsen Avenue.
Purchase this unique piece of Hartford history and join the effort to restore historic Coltsville, the neighborhood leading the revitalization of Hartford.
Contact: Maria Hagan, Prudential Connecticut Realty, (860)571-6626, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Henry Reed House was moved from an unknown location in the area of Lake Gaillard by the New Haven Water Company after it acquired the property in 1923. The house is an early-twentieth-century wood-framed rectangular structure on a fieldstone foundation, faced with local sandstone blocks. The original first-floor siding may still be under the asbestos shingling. The only style-conscious feature is the Colonial Revival porch that is supported by Doric columns and capped with a low-pitched hipped roof. The inside layout of the house is very simple, with four rooms on each floor. Woodwork and hardware are well preserved throughout the house. Behind the house stands a one-and-a-half story barn with well-preserved animal stalls. The house and barn are offered for $1 each for relocation to a new property. Contact: Dawn O’Connell, H. Pearce Real Estate. (203) 281-3400, ext. 333.
Beginning in 1914, a number of Italian immigrants moved from New Haven to live in Branford and work for the New Haven Trap Rock Company. One of them was Angelo Forte, who built this one-and-a-half story bungalow around 1925. It has brown-stained wooden shingles with white trim and has an asphalt shingle roof. The house has a central doorway to an enclosed porch, which is the full width of the house. There are four main rooms on the first floor, with a small laundry room and bathroom. The second floor consists of several small bedrooms and a bathroom, arranged around a central, open area. One bedroom opens onto a sec-ond-story porch. This house is offered for $1 for relocation to a new property. Contact: Dawn O’ Connell, H. Pearce Real Estate. 203-281-3400, ext. 333.
This vernacular two-story house is linked to the history of Irish immigration. It was the home of Patrick and Kathryn Qualey, who sought a better life in Connecticut. They built and tended a modest farmstead on seven acres and raised their family there. Members of the Qualey family occupied the house into the 1940s. The adjacent Redding Country Club now owns the property and is offering to give away the house and two barns, if removed for restoration on another site. The buildings may be obtained and moved separately, however it would be desirable for them to retain their historical association with one another.The house is oriented with the gable end to the street. Brackets support a shallow pitched roof over the front door, which is centered on the facade. The house is of post and beam construction and has clapboard siding. The window sashes are one-over-one. Much of the original plaster remains on the interior walls, and the ceilings are seven feet high on both floors. The barns are also of post and beam construction. The larger one has some roof damage. The timeliness of proposals is important. The Country Club may contribute to moving costs for the right applicant. Contact: Michael Sautkulis, 203-938-2567.
This small building was constructed in the early 1900s, sometime before 1920, and served as a shed for a lobster business on the waterfront. The current owner needs to have it moved off the property in order to build a house and would prefer not to demolish the shed. It is in very good condition. Wood shingles sheath the exterior in the tradition of many seaside buildings. The shed originally had a wood shingle roof as well, but it has since been replaced with asphalt shingles. The building measures approximately twelve feet by sixteen feet and sits on a stone foundation. Inside it has wood floors and a small loft, which is accessible by ladder. A brick chimney served a wood or coal-burning stove. The shed has one window on each of its four sides. It would be relatively easy to move and would work well as a garden shed or guest cottage.Contact number: 860-536-6523.