This classic New England saltbox dates from the first half of the eighteenth-century. It has a center chimney and a symmetrical facade. The exterior is sided with narrow clapboard. Both the foundation and the chimney are constructed of fieldstone. Most of the windows have eight-over-twelve sashes. The center window above the front door is narrower with a six-over-nine arrangement. The entry vestibule is a later addition. The house is of post and beam construction. Physical evidence in the roof framing suggests that its saltbox form developed as a result of a lean-to added at the rear, rather than as an integral part of the original structure. Although the interior is in neglected condition, it contains a number of notable early features, such as raised-panel doors, wide-board floors, and a paneled wall next to the parlor fireplace. The Field House is listed on the State Register of Historic Places. It needs extensive restoration. The Field family had many distinguished members, including Stephen J. Field, who served the nation as a justice on the U.S. Supreme Court.
The owner will consider selling the house on site at a price to be determined or will allow it to be moved elsewhere for restoration. Local preservationists hope that it will stay in its original location or, at least, within Madison. For further information contact the owner, Michael Montanaro, at 203-246-7340 or Jane Kuhl, president Madison Historical Society at 203-421-3050.
Collins Axe Factory, Collinsville
The Collins Axe Factory is for sale again. As reported in the Hartford Courant on August 15, 2010, owner James Tilney is offering the 19 acre property for redevelopment with the desire to have some preliminary town approvals already in place for prospective developers. Retaining the factory's historical charm and its trademark exterior is a central focus in the conceptual architectural and engineering plans, according to Julius Fialkiewicz, the owner’s real estate agent.
The Connecticut Trust has been following this landmark structure for some time, listed the Collins Axe Company on its Most Important Threatened: 2005 (CPN, September-October 2005) and again in Great Preservation Opportunities: 2009 (CPN September-October 2009). The namesake of Collinsville, the factory once produced world-famous edge tools-axes and hatchets, machetes, bayonets - even the pikes that John Brown and his raiders used at Harper's Ferry. More recently, the company's factory has been an incubator for small businesses, located by the Farmington River in a village that is both a National Register district and a Local Historic District.
Offered at $6 million with the total cost of remediation and redevelopment estimated at approximately $50 million.
Realty Works, LLC
124 Main Street,
Canton, CT 06019
Phone: 860 693-6066 x212, email: JandG@RealtyWorksCT.com.
This house stands on Broadway within the Little Plain Historic District. A two-story portico dominates the facade. Bold dentils trim the pediment, which is supported by four Tuscan columns. Pilasters appear at the corners and between each vertical set of windows across the front. The house has a low hipped roof with a pair of chimneys on each side. The triangular window in the pediment appears to be original. Inside, the house has been divided into five apartments and was partially gutted in the process. However, a number of historic details remain including four fireplaces. One has a later Gothic Revival mantel, while the other three seem to be original. A two-story ell to the rear retains wide-board floors. The house has approximately 3,200 square feet with high ceilings. The building requires extensive repair and rehabilitation. The one-acre parcel includes a mid-nineteenth-century barn and an ample side yard. Price: asking $199,000, which is considered negotiable.Contact: Frederic Allyn, III, Allyn Associates, email@example.com or 860-892-1335.
Another house connected to Italian immigrants and the New Haven Trap Rock Company, this was built about 1921 for members of the DiSanti family, who also operated a slaughterhouse on the property. The house is a small, one-and-a-half story dwelling on a rubble foundation, with roof ridge perpendicular to the street. A porch runs the width of the front. Interior details are simple, the most notable features being recessed panel doors and a handsome newel; windows are generally wooden sash.
This house is offered for $1 for relocation to a new property. Contact: Dawn O’Connell, H. Pearce Real Estate. (203) 281-3400, ext 333.
This small one-and-a-half story house was probably built about 1810 and underwent extensive renovations during the nineteenth century or the beginning of the twentieth century. The main block has a simple four bay facade. A small porch with oversized Greek Revival columns at the front door and a large rear sunroom with a fieldstone fireplace are additions to the original structure. The interior is simple, with two rooms flanking the chimney on each floor, and some Craftsman style woodwork. Little maintenance has been done on the house in the past few years, and the sills may need repair. But it seems on the whole to be in good structural condition. This house is offered for $1 for relocation to a new property. Contact: Dawn O’Connell, H. Pearce Real Estate. (203) 281-3400, ext. 333.
The Historic Properties Exchange is supported by Cesar Pelli and Associates Architects.
THE SOUTH CENTRAL CONNECTICUT REGIONAL WATER AUTHORITY IS OFFERING THE LAST SEVEN LISTED BUILDINGS FOR REMOVAL FROM RWA PROPERTY.
For more information, call the agent listed below or see related articles in Connecticut Preservation News and at www.cttrust.org
This house was built around 1915 for Fred Harrison and his family and was relocated after the New Haven Water Company acquired the property in 1927. Fred and his brother were carpenters and probably built the house themselves. The house is a well designed and well preserved one-and-a-half story wood-frame bungalow that features Craftsman-style elements, such as fieldstone-faced foundation, shingle siding, integral front porch with tapered square columns, and bay windows and dormers with either shed or gable roofs. Inside is a flowing plan of rooms that open to each other, as well as varnished woodwork, pocket doors, and built-ins. A group of outbuildings behind the Harrison House served various domestic functions. The central section of the largest of these buildings is an early twentieth century gable-end barn, which was expanded on each side. The house and outbuildings are being offered for $1 each for relocation to a new property. Contact: Dawn O’Connell, H. Pearce Real Estate. (203) 281-3400, ext. 333.
Patrick Qualey House and Barns, Redding, Saved from Demolition.
This vernacular historic house and its two barns were saved from destruction through the advocacy efforts of the Redding Preservation Society, along with the perseverance of town historian Charles Couch and the support of the Redding Historical Society. The buildings were located on a modest farm that had been tended by the Qualey family in the nineteenth century. Patrick and Kathryn Qualey emigrated from Ireland and settled in Redding in the 1870s. Members of the family occupied the house into the 1940s. The land is now owned by the Redding Country Club. At the urging of the Preservation Society and Mr. Couch, the Country Club agreed to allow the buildings to be removed from the property for reassembly elsewhere, as an alternative to demolition. The house and barns were listed in the July/August 2003 issue of the Exchange.
The buildings have been disassembled and the parts numbered and stored for reconstruction on another tract of land within the Town of Redding. The three buildings will remain together, thereby retaining their historical association with one another, although their uses may be reversed. The house may be used for storage and one of the barns adapted as living quarters.
During disassembly, physical evidence revealed that the house was older than first thought and, in fact, dated from the mid-eighteenth century. It appears that the building was originally a one-and-a-half story, center-chimney, Cape Cod style house. The roof was raised and a full second story and attic were added around 1870, when the Qualey family took possession. Mr. Couch coordinated the many facets of the project, and the Redding Country Club contributed to the cost of disassembly and moving.