Connecticut Trust For Historic Preservation

Paul B. Bailey Architect, LLC

110 Audubon Street
New Haven, Connecticut 06510
Phone: 203-776-8888
Fax: 203-772-1365
Email:
Web: visit →
Contact: Paul B. Bailey, AIA

The firm of Paul B. Bailey offers a range of architectural preservation/restoration services. Recent work includes the adaptive reuse of the former St. Michael's School (c. 1920) in Hartford, Connecticut which won a 2008 Merit Award from the Connecticut Trust for Historic Preservation.

They have 23+ years of full architectural services and are a registered historical architect.


Vernon Town Hall

This historic c. 1889 town hall is a significant Richardsonian-Romanesque structure which originally contained a grand 35 foot high-ceilinged auditorium on the Third Floor.  An adaptive reuse of this magnificent space included new City Council Chambers, offices for the Mayor, Town Manager and Treasurer and public gallery space.  Also, the original windows of this 1889 structure, which were removed in 1975, were replaced by historically appropriate and energy efficient windows.  When the restoration project, partially funded by the Connecticut Historic Commission, was completed in 2008, the third floor re-claimed its intended public use and a significant historic structure was returned to its former magnificence with sensitive design and contemporary materials and workmanship.


Noah Webster House

Our firm performed assessments of the historic eighteenth century Noah Webster House, listed on the National Register of Historic Places as a National Historic Landmark, to make recommendations for the continuing preservation and maintenance of the structure to enhance its function as a museum.   The scope of this study included architectural drawings documenting the existing structures, historical

assessment, structural inspection and evaluation, lighting assessment and design of new historically appropriate lighting, mechanical/electrical inspection and evaluation, building component analysis, and recommendations for maintenance and repairs.  The recommendations were subsequently implemented in a building-wide restoration/upgrade designed by our firm.


Old Lyme Memorial Town Hall

Sympathetic additions and renovations to the historic 1920 Memorial Town Hall, including, on the south side, a new 100 seat meeting hall for town gatherings and, on the north side, additional town offices.  Also included is a new elevator to provide complete handicapped accessibility to all portions of the complex, improved HVAC systems and expanded parking facilities.


Colonial Revival

This beautiful Colonial Revival house, designed in 1932 by New Haven architect, J. Frederick Kelly, is situated on a magnificent site on the Lieutenant River.  The two story addition and interior renovations were designed as a “sympathetic addition” to this historic structure. The new construction contains a new Family Room and Master Bedroom suite, thereby bringing the interior uses up to date. The wall of first floor windows, including a large fanlight, takes advantage of the 180 degree river view and yet stays within the delicate scale of the original design.


Plumb Memorial Library

Exterior restorations repaired this handsome Richardsonian Romanesque structure, which was originally constructed c. 1895. The work on the building included extensive masonry and window repair, and was performed on behalf of the Town of Shelton.


Sloane-Stanley Museum

This project consisted of a comprehensive survey and master planning study for the Sloane‐Stanley Museum and the Early American Cabin, assessing various aspects of the buildings including structure, mechanical systems, weather envelope, and public regulations applicable to the building.  The Sloane‐Stanley Museum opened in 1968, showcasing the early American tool collector and artist Eric Sloane.  The Early American Cabin was constructed in 1974 by Eric Sloane to illustrate the lifestyle of the early nineteenth century as portrayed in the diary of Noah Blake, which is on display in the museum.



Wilton Congregational Church

This project involves a three level 7,300 square foot historically sensitive addition to the existing church complex, containing offices, meeting rooms, handicapped restroom facilities, and a new elevator. Also included in the project was a major upgrade of the existing facilities, including a new sprinkler system, electrical/mechanical upgrades, a new commercial kitchen, a new elevator and other handicapped access renovations.


Henry Whitfield State Museum

This historically significant structure is both Connecticut’s oldest house and New England’s oldest stone house.  It has been used as a State Historical Museum since 1899 and is currently owned by the Connecticut Historical Commission. Our work included a comprehensive architectural, structural and mechanical/electrical survey and analysis, as well as master planning recommendations for the future.


Saugatuck Congregational Church

This c. 1830 church in Westport, CT was partially damaged in 2011 by fire. Our firm recently finished working on rebuilding and restoring the damaged areas to meet current code standards. Also included were new improvements such as the addition of a small chapel and welcoming area, as well as a raised attic level creating full height use throughout.