Connecticut Trust For Historic Preservation

HPTAG & Maintenance and Repair Grants Awarded March 2015

For Immediate Release                                                            March 2015

Connecticut Trust for Historic Preservation announce awards of Historic Preservation Technical Assistance Grants 

Earlier this month, the Connecticut Trust approved Historic Preservation Technical Assistance Grants, and Maintenance & Repair Grants totaling $ 201,400 to 21 municipalities and nonprofit organizations. The grants will make possible a minimum initial investment of $ 402,800 in these historic sites.

The grants, intended to encourage and support community efforts in planning for the preservation, restoration, and rehabilitation of historic buildings and places, are part of the Trust’s technical assistance program, in collaboration with and with generous funding from the Connecticut General Assembly and the State Historic Preservation Office, Department of Economic and Community Development, through the Community Investment Act. The grants went to:

Bloomfield, Town of Bloomfield and Ironwood Community Partners $8,500 to conduct a feasibility study for re-use of three utility farm structures at the Capt. Oliver Filley Farmstead (c. 1835) at Lasalette Park.

Ellington, Friends of the Pinney House was awarded $2,500 for pre-construction planning for interior restoration of the Eleazer Pinney House (c. 1785).

Hartford, Asylum Hill Congregational Church was awarded $18,200 for a capital needs assessment of Asylum Hill Congregational Church (1865) and related buildings.

Hartford, Faith Assembly of God was awarded $7,500 for roof repairs.

Hartford, Liberty Christian Center International was awarded $14,000 for repair to the steeple at the Horace Bushnell Congregational Church (1914).

Ledyard, The Town of Ledyard, in association with Ledyard Historic District Commission, was awarded $2,500 for repairs to Ledyard Up-Down Sawmill (c. 1860).

New Britain, New Britain Industrial Museum, a division of New Britain Institute, was awarded $12,600 for pre-development planning of the W. L. Hatch Building (1929).

New Haven, The Church of God and Saints of Christ was awarded $7,500 for roof repair and replacement at 109 Beers Street.

New Haven, First & Summerfield United Methodist Church was awarded $16,000 for capital needs assessment of First Methodist Church (1849).

New Haven, The Institute Library was awarded $20,000 for capital needs assessment of New Haven Young Men’s Institute (1878).

New Milford, New Milford Historical Society was awarded $5,000 for a structural assessment of Levi Knapp House (1770, 1815).

New Milford, Village Center for the Arts was awarded $3,000 for pre-construction planning for renovations and accessibility at Village Hardware Building (1837).

Norwich, Slater Memorial Museum/Norwich Free Academy was awarded $20,000 for a treatment plan for conservation of the slate roof at Slater Memorial Hall (1884-6).

Prospect, The Town of Prospect was awarded $4,800 for roof replacement and exterior repairs to Prospect Center School (1865).

Rocky Hill, The Town of Rocky Hill was awarded $7,000 for structural repairs to Academy Hall & Museum (1803).

Waterbury, Girls. Inc. was awarded $10,000 for condition assessment of Elisha Leavenworth House (1845).

West Hartford, The Town of West Hartford, in association with the Sarah Whitman Hooker Foundation, was awarded $7,000 for repairs to the Sarah Whitman Hooker Homestead (1715-1720) as identified in a recent condition assessment.

Westport, Merritt Parkway Conservancy was awarded $3,500 for a condition assessment and restoration plan for Clinton Avenue Bridge (1940) in Westport.

Windsor, The First Church in Windsor was awarded $11,000 for long term maintenance planning for all if its buildings: First Church Meetinghouse (1793-95), Russell House (1755), Parish House (1955), and Pierson House (1900).

Windsor, Grace Episcopal Church was awarded $15,000 for slate roof repair and replacement at Grace Church Rectory/ Tuttle House (c. 1865).

Woodbury, Old Woodbury Historical Society was awarded $5,800 for structural engineering at Hurd House Museum (1680).