Connecticut Trust For Historic Preservation

Sanford-Bristol House (1790)

back to October 2017 listings

Sanford-Bristol House (1790)

Milford

On November 6, the Connecticut Trust for Historic Preservation and the Milford Preservation Trust reached a settlement with the owners of the Sanford- Bristol house to prevent the house’s demolition. The settlement came as a result of a lawsuit filed under the Connecticut Environmental Protection Act.

The settlement gives the two Trusts until mid-January to find a new buyer who will complete the renovation of the house. After that, the Farrells may proceed with the demolition as approved. The asking price is $200,000 -- cash only.
 

Built in 1790, the Sanford- Bristol house is a contributing resource in the River Park National Register district. With its uncommon outline -- a gambrel roof in front and a lean-to in back -- it belongs to a small but distinctive group in Milford, likely the work of a single builder, or a reflection of local tastes. Renovation has been started but not completed; structural investigation indicates that the building is basically sound.

Contact: Connecticut Trust for Historic Preservation if you are interested in viewing the home. Email: Milford@cttrust.org Phone: 203.562.6312

Naugatuck Train Station (1910)

195 Water Street

Naugatuck

A contributing resource to the Naugatuck Center National Register Historic District and owned by the Borough of Naugatuck, this Spanish Colonial Revival-style train station is available for redevelopment.  The station was designed by Henry Bacon (1866-1924), a major American architect.  Located on a still active rail line, the site offers great redevelopment potential.  Grants and federal and state historic preservation tax credits may apply.

Link to the National Register nomination: http://pdfhost.focus.nps.gov/docs/NRHP/Text/99000859.pdf.

Contact: Naugatuck Economic Development Corporation at (203) 723-4411 or info@naugatuckedc.com.

Dreshner’s Restaurant (1903)

25 Leavenworth Street

Waterbury

Historic restaurant is available for purchase or lease.  Drescher's Restaurant, the city's oldest restaurant, closed nearly a year ago. Drescher's opened in 1868 and moved into its Leavenworth Street building in 1904.  The mahogany and oak bar was one a city landmark. For more information, see article published in the American-Republican (http://www.rep-am.com/articles/2013/09/16/news/local/750536.txt). The building is a contributing structure in the Downtown Waterbury National Register district and may be eligible for grants and federal and state historic preservation tax credits.

Contact: Drubner Commercial Real Estate in Waterbury at (203) 753-4116 or visit www.drubner.com.

Residence (1897)

194-198 Black Rock Avenue

Bridgeport

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places as part of the Division Street Historic District, this multi-family residence is located in a good neighborhood about four blocks from the beach (Seaside Park).  The house is currently vacant and in foreclosure.  Investment in this property may qualify for the state Historic Homes Tax Credit program. (Link: http://www.cultureandtourism.org/cct/cwp/view.asp?a=3933&q=302270)

Contact: Carrington Real Estate Services, Joe Gruttadauria at (203) 732-8788.

Residence (1953)

3 Dogwood Lane

Darien

In danger of becomimg a teardown: this residence designed by Edward Durell Stone, friend of Frank Lloyd Wright, is currently for sale. Like Wright, Stone was inspired by Japanese architecture; the house’s warm wooden interior, shoji screens, and harmony with the landscape all reflect this influence.

Contact: Mary Lopiano at (203) 656-6566 or mlopiano@halstead.com.

Deadline for submissions to the January-February 2014 issue of Historic Properties Exchange is December 20, 2013.