Connecticut Trust For Historic Preservation

Historic Properties Exchange

To list a property, to learn more about the properties listed, or to subscribe to Connecticut Preservation News contact Jane Montanaro,  at jmontanaro@cttrust.org or 203-562-6312.

Real Estate advertised is subject to the Federal Housing Act of 1968. Neither advertisers nor the Connecticut Trust are responsible or liable for any misinformation, misprints, or typographical errors contained in Historic Properties Exchange.

THE HISTORIC PROPERTIES EXCHANGE IS BEING REDESIGNED AND WILL BE UPDATED BY FALL OF 2017!

House and Country Store, Seymour

This one-and-a-half-story house was probably built around 1800. At present, it is engulfed in over-grown vegetation and in serious need of stabilization. An addition that is approximately 45 years old has collapsed and exposed the building to the weather at the rear.  Fortunately, the earlier core building still remains dry, with no evidence of leaks. The roof on the front entry porch has also given way, but this is not an original feature. Local lore says that the house was built in the seventeenth century, but the construction techniques do not support such an early date. The remains of another building foundation are said to exist on the property, which may mark the spot of an earlier house that became confused with this one over time.The owners, who live on a separate parcel directly behind this house, want to see it restored, but cannot afford to do the work themselves due to their limited income from Social Security. They are considering selling the house along with a country store that stands adjacent to it on the same lot.  They would also consider a partnership or any other proposal. The store was built about 50 years ago and has a spacious six room apartment on the second floor, which is in much better condition, but lacks heat. The store is now operated on a very limited basis, but has the potential to bring in substantial income as the only store on Route 334, a well-traveled state road. The existence of the apartment would allow someone to live there while restoring the house. For further information please call Mrs. Nightingale, 203-735-4902.

HPX January/February 2008 - Roxbury Station, Roxbury

This 3.93 acre complex located at 6 Mine Hill Road has four buildings on it, including: a circa 1830 railroad depot, a circa 1830 tobacco processing barn, a large wood shed (24 x 100), and a three-bay garage.The site is bordered by the Roxbury Land Trust and the Shepaug River, including a waterfall (which is a part of the property). The station has been closed since 1948.  This is a great opportunity to incorporate a historically significant site with a viable commercial venture.  

4http://www.bbevansrealestate.com/mylisting1014.html

 Contact: Bonnie Bevans (860) 927-1819 or bee@bbevansrealestate.com

HPX May/June 2007, Penfield Reef Lighthouse

NATIONAL HISTORIC LIGHTHOUSE PRESERVATION ACT OF 2000NOTICE OF AVAILABILITY
PENFIELD REEF LIGHTHOUSE
OFFSHORE OF FAIRFIELD COUNTY, CONNECTICUT
MAY 18, 2007

The light station property described on the attached sheet has been determined to be excess to the needs of the United States Coast Guard. Pursuant to the National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act of 2000, 16 U.S.C. 470, this property is being made available at no cost to eligible entities defined as Federal Agencies, state and local agencies, non-profit corporations, educational agencies, or community development organizations, for education, park, recreation, cultural, or historic preservation purposes.In the event no applicant is approved for the conveyance of a historic lightstation pursuant to section 308 of the act, the historic light station shall be offered for sale. (Historic covenants will be included in all deeds)

The site is off-shore and contains no acreage. No submerged lands will be conveyed under the Quitclaim Deed. Lighthouse is accessible by water craft only.Potential applicants should be advised that the State of Connecticut does not have a submerged lands leasing program or other administrative process for conveying the states interest in submerged lands on which the lighthouse is located, and such conveyance may require an act of the Connecticut General Assembly. Applicants are encouraged to contact the Office of Long Island Sound Programs to discuss their interest in acquiring the light station. David Blatt at 860-424-3034

Any eligible entity with an interest in acquiring the described property for a use consistent with the purposes stated above, should submit a letter of interest to the address listed below by July 18, 2007.Letters of interest should include:
• Name of property
• Name of eligible entity
• Point of contact, title, address, phone and email
• Non-profit agencies must provide a copy of their state-certified articles of incorporation

Eligible entities that submit a letter of interest will be sent an application and given anopportunity to inspect the property. Building inspectors and/or contractors may accompany the applicant on the site visit. The completed application must be submitted to the Department of Interior within 90 days after the Federal Government site inspection.The Department of Interior will review applications and select an eligible entity to receive the property. The General Services Administration will complete the conveyance to the selected recipient For more information on the disposal of lighthouses, please visit our web site at http://www.cr.nps.gov/maritime/nhlpa/nhlpa.htm.

Letters of interest should be sent to:

Saundra A Robbins
GSA, Property Disposal Division
10 Causeway Street, Room 925
Boston, MA 02222
(617) 565-5710
Send a copy of the letter of interest to:
Karen Senich
Interim Director and Deputy State Historic Preservation Officer
The Amos Bull House
59 South Prospect Street
Hartford, CT 06106
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

HPX January/February 2008 - Philip Johnson’s Alice Ball House in New Canaan, CT

The Alice Ball House located at 523 Oenoke Ridge was designed by Philip Johnson, master architect of the ‘Harvard Five’ mid-century modernists.  Referred to as his ‘little jewel’, this sculpture of modern architecture is sited on the ‘Ridge’ known for its estates. Built in 1953, the property encompasses 2.197 acres, the main Alice Ball House, a guest cottage, a walled secret garden, courtyards, and extensive mature plantings. As with many Modernists buildings in the area, the threat of a teardown is very real.

http://www.williampittsir.com/buyers/propdetail.asp?abspage=&thispage=1&homeid=23856461

Contact: Prudy Parris (203) 966-2633

 

HPX - November/December- Osborn House,- 2008 909 King’s Highway West, Southport

Individually listed on the National Register ofHistoric Places, the Captain John Osborn House sits among other historic houseson rural King's Highway West, a section of the road between New York and Bostonthat was used for monthly mail service as early as 1672.  The originalcore of the house, dating from the late 1680s, is two-over-two rooms, witha central chimney on the ground floor.  Built in compatible style, twonewer wings with a modern kitchen and bedrooms, date from the 1950s. Historic homes like this are always in danger of demolition due to the desirabilityof the lot, especially in FairfieldCounty.

Contact:  HopeR. Kern, GRI (203) 259-5048 or Mike DeLorenzo, GRI, CRS (203) 218-2719 atMunson Real Estate or hrkern@optonline.net

HPX January/February 2008 - The Shelley House, Madison, CT

Individually listed on the National Register, the Shelley house is exceptionally well-preserved, featuring such early elements as feather-edged wall sheathing and exposed framing members with well-crafted chamfers and stops. Most impressive is the clear evidence that the house was actually built in several stages, beginning in the late 17th or early 18th century as a one-room, two-story structure with an end wall of stone, then gaining a second two-story section and finally a rear lean-to.

http://ctmls.mlxchange.com/Pub/EmailView.asp?r=572642644&s=HFD&t=HFD

Contact: Alison Gould 203-245-0456, ext 24

 

HPX January/February 2008 - Hamden Barn

This 20th century bank barn on Putnam Avenue is slated for demolition. It is wood framed and has tongue & groove sheathing. The barn may be used for materials in another project. The barn is offered for $1.00, if removed from the property. Potential buyers must demonstrate the ability to remove the structure from the site and leave the former site cleared and clean.

Contact: Chris Marchand (203) 287-7032 or CMarchand@Hamden.com