Connecticut Trust For Historic Preservation

Historic Properties Exchange

Historic Properties Exchange is published to advertise endangered historic properties in Connecticut by the Connecticut Trust, a statewide nonprofit organization located at 940 Whitney Avenue, Hamden, CT 06517.  Real Estate advertised is subject to the Federal Housing Act of 1968. Neither advertisers nor the Connecticut Trust are responsible or liable for any misinformation, misprints, or typographical errors contained in Historic Properties Exchange.

To list a property, to learn more about the properties listed, or to subscribe to Connecticut Preservation News contact Jane Montanaro, Preservation Services Officer at jmontanaro@cttrust.org or 203-562-6312.

HPX -  September/October 2008 - Elias Sprague House, Coventry

Built in 1821 and listed on the National Register ofHistoric Places, this one and a half story, four-room cape is situated on fourheavily wooded acres between moderate residential construction and the Nathan Hale State Forestin Coventry, Connecticut. The interior is almost entirelyoriginal, following the traditional floor plan of two front rooms on eitherside of a small hall with kitchen at the rear, a large central chimney andfieldstone foundation. The Sprague lot will have some deed restrictions—thebuyer will have to preserve the historic facade of the building and cannotsubdivide the property to put up other houses. The current owner, the CoventryHistorical Society, is selling the historic home in the hope that the proceedswill help maintain its other antique buildings and museums.

Contact: LandmarksAntique & Country Properties at (860) 423-7484

 

                                                                                 Photo credit: Hugh Smith

HPX -March/April 2009- Osborn House, 909 King’s Highway West, Southport

Individually listed on the National Register ofHistoric Places, the Captain John Osborn House sits among other historic houseson rural King's Highway West, a section of the road between New York and Bostonthat was used for monthly mail service as early as 1672.  The originalcore of the house, dating from the late 1680s, is two-over-two rooms, witha central chimney on the ground floor.  Built in compatible style, twonewer wings with a modern kitchen and bedrooms, date from the 1950s. Historic homes like this are always in danger of demolition due to the desirabilityof the lot, especially in FairfieldCounty.

Contact:  HopeR. Kern, GRI (203) 259-5048 or Mike DeLorenzo, GRI, CRS (203) 218-2719 atMunson Real Estate or hrkern@optonline.net

Daniel Chapman House, Redding

This eighteenth-century house of a Revolutionary War patriot needs to be moved or it will face demolition. Daniel Chapman, a soldier in the American Revolution, built the house in 1773, the year he got married. Four years later, British troops under the command of General Tryon captured him as they marched through Redding during the 1777 Raid on Danbury. He died in prison in New York City in the Sugar House, where many patriots lost their lives to disease and exposure to cold. Chapman left a young widow and an infant son behind in this house in Redding.

Chapman was from a family of early settlers of Connecticut in the seventeenth century. He had the same name as his grandfather, who was the founding minister of the Congregational Church in the Greens Farms section of what is now Westport.

The one-and-a-half story house is of post and beam construction with a hand-hewn timber frame. It has a fieldstone foundation and a center chimney of brick. Painted wood shingles sheath the exterior. The original windows have been replaced.

The present owner of the house may make a contribution to moving costs. Contact: Raymond D’Angelo, chairman Redding Preservation Society, 203-938-0240.

HPX -  September/October 2008 - Masonic Hall, 245 Main Street, Wethersfield

Located on the corner of Church and Mainstreets in Old Wethersfield, this former Masonic hall from the 1920s offers agreat opportunity for re-use. Although the interior is gutted and ready for building,the exterior is in very good condition and retains the many of the originaldetails that represented freemasons and defined Masonic halls.

Contact: SharonCarducci, William Raveis Real Estate, 860-563-2881 or carduccis@Raveisre.com

HPX - March/April 2009 - Elias Sprague House, Coventry

Built in 1821 and listed on the National Register ofHistoric Places, this one and a half story, four-room cape is situated on fourheavily wooded acres between moderate residential construction and the Nathan Hale State Forestin Coventry, Connecticut. The interior is almost entirelyoriginal, following the traditional floor plan of two front rooms on eitherside of a small hall with kitchen at the rear, a large central chimney andfieldstone foundation. The Sprague lot will have some deed restrictions—thebuyer will have to preserve the historic facade of the building and cannotsubdivide the property to put up other houses. The current owner, the CoventryHistorical Society, is selling the historic home in the hope that the proceedswill help maintain its other antique buildings and museums.

Contact: LandmarksAntique & Country Properties at (860) 423-7484

 

                                                                                 Photo credit: Hugh Smith

HPX -  March/April 2009 - Masonic Hall, 245 Main Street, Wethersfield

Located on the corner of Church and Mainstreets in Old Wethersfield, this former Masonic hall from the 1920s offers agreat opportunity for re-use. Although the interior is gutted and ready for building,the exterior is in very good condition and retains the many of the originaldetails that represented freemasons and defined Masonic halls.

Contact: SharonCarducci, William Raveis Real Estate, 860-563-2881 or carduccis@Raveisre.com

House, 752 Summer Hill Road, Madison

Built in an area of farms, this small house appears to have been a vacation cottage or hunting lodge. It sits on a stone platform partly obscured from the road and is one-story high, with roof ridge perpendicular to the street. Currently the exterior is covered by vinyl siding and an asphalt roof. The central chimney is of the same stone construction as the cellar. The main room has knotty pine paneling and a massive stone fireplace. There is a generous enclosed porch and one bedroom. This house is offered for $1 for relocation to a new property. Contact: Dawn O’Connell, H. Pearce Real Estate. (203) 281-3400, ext. 333.