Historic Properties Exchange is published to advertise endangered historic properties in Connecticut by the Connecticut Trust, a statewide nonprofit organization located at 940 Whitney Avenue, Hamden, CT 06517. Real Estate advertised is subject to the Federal Housing Act of 1968. Neither advertisers nor the Connecticut Trust are responsible or liable for any misinformation, misprints, or typographical errors contained in Historic Properties Exchange.
To list a property, to learn more about the properties listed, or to subscribe to Connecticut Preservation News contact Jane Montanaro, Preservation Services Officer at email@example.com or 203-562-6312.
Berlin, Carriage Barn
This early 20 century carriage barn is offered for $1.00, if removed from the property. It has tongue and groove sheathing, a brick and field stone foundation and is interesting because it is built on a bank, which is rare for carriage barns. The barn’s roof is in disrepair and the floors have some rot, spurring the owner to try to find a new home for the building.
Potential buyers must demonstrate the ability to remove the barn from the site and reconstruct it on their own lot.
Contact: Roy Wiseman firstname.lastname@example.org or 860-828-3563.
Westbrook (c. 1790)
This center chimney cape-style house, constructed in the last quarter of the 18th century, is located on a quiet cul-de-sac near the Menunketesuck River adjacent to 20 acres of undeveloped land being considered for incorporation into the Stewart B. McKinney National Wildlife Refuge.
The antique house is in untouched condition and has nine rooms, three fireplaces, and original 18th century woodwork, as well fine early 19th century woodwork from the Greek Revival period. The first floor kitchen retains the majority of its 18th century elements, including the hearth, bake oven, and the decorative fireplace surround. The rear of the house features an early 20th century ell that offers the potential for renovation as a modern kitchen or a master suite.
The Connecticut Trust for Historic Preservation and the National Trust for Historic Preservation recently supported professional structural and historical studies of the house that will aid future buyers in planning for preservation and restoration of the building.
The Pratt-Stannard house will be sold with 2 acres of surrounding land. For more information, contact Alicia Betty or Lisa Bassani at The Trust for Public Land, (203)-777-7367.
18th century farmhouse in Fairfield
This 1769 vernacular Georgian-period farmhouse located at 3808 Redding Road in upper Greenfield Hill has three fireplaces and 1 ½ baths. It includes 18 acres of subdividable land. Although the house is being marketed as a teardown, this is an excellent opportunity to restore an 18th century home and profit from development. The house and out-buildings are being sold "as is." Soil and perc test are available.
Contact: Krista Alecia 203-610-3550
This 1770 Saltbox sits directly on the 14th fairway of theMadison Country Club. The building has been vacant for more than four years andhas a leaky roof. The house has recently been put on the market and the fear isthe cost of renovations will outweigh the character of the building in favor ofa demolition.
Contact: ToddGould, William Pitt Sotheby's International Realty, 203.738.0237 or email@example.com
This elegant and imposing mansion was built in 1746 on a hillside site with views to Middletown and the Connecticut River. Wetmore was a successful merchant, judge and landowner, and his house boasts decorative details found in the homes of many of the Connecticut Valley elite known as the “River Gods.” On the outside, an impressive scroll-pedimented doorway dominates the facade. Indoors, the painted parlor, one of the great treasures of American decorative art, was removed to the Wadsworth Atheneum in 1988 and replaced with a replica, but other historic interiors remain, boasting wide-planked floors, fine paneling, an ornate stair and 8 fireplaces. The house is individually listed on the National Register of Historic Places, making it potentially eligible for federal rehabilitation tax credits.
The Wetmore house offers over 7,000 square feet, with 10 bedrooms, 3 full baths and 2 kitchens. Its generous size and proximity to Wesleyan University, make a bed-and-breakfast a possible reuse option. Though livable, the house needs extensive repairs, and the Connecticut Trust listed it in 2003 as one of the Most Important Threatened Historic Places in Connecticut.
With its exceptional architectural quality, the Wetmore house has the potential to be one of Connecticut's historic showplaces.
Contact: Betsy Purtell 203-640-4440 or BPurtell@coldwellbankermoves.com
19th Century Gazebo for Museum or Nonprofit Organization Estate heirs are seeking to donate a late 19th century gazebo to a museum, historical organization or related nonprofit. Consideration will also be given to a town for use on a green or similar public space. Accepting organization will be responsible for all moving and restoration costs and for maintenance expenses. The gazebo is to be donated with the agreement that it is for public use and is not to be sold to a private party. A letter of commitment is requested by June 30, 2007. New property owners are allowing until July 31st for removal, but may provide a brief extension if needed.
In its current condition, the gazebo was appraised as a $10,000 donation with a replacement value of approximately $25,000. That value will increase once restoration is complete. Moving and restoration will cost approximately $50,000. The original roof finial is in storage until a suitable recipient is found for the structure.
The gazebo was part of a residential complex in Willington, Connecticut, built between 1880 – 1895. It included a two story dwelling, barn, carriage house and other outbuildings. The gazebo was over the well and stood at the end of the driveway, along Route 32. The shingles on the gazebo roof are the same style as those that were on the front side of the carriage house/barn.
Between 1965 and 1969 the State of Connecticut Highway Department widened a section of Route 32 adjacent to the property. As a result the house and carriage house/barn were destroyed. The gazebo and its original grey granite foundation were moved a few hundred feet north to the current location. When the structure was restored in 1976 the name Louis A. Pettie was found under the roof shingles. It is not known if this was the original 19th century builder or the name of a carpenter from a later restoration or repair.
Photos of the gazebo and related 19th century buildings are available, as well as photos of the move in 1968 and the restoration in 1976. They will be digitized and made available to the organization taking the gazebo. Also, State Highway Department maps should show the structures in their original location.
All inquiries should be sent to Loretta Rivers at firstname.lastname@example.org; telephone 860-291-0180.
The Town of Vernon is accepting proposals for the purchase and redevelopment of property known as Citizens’ Block building located at 28-36 Park Place in the Rockville section of Vernon.
The Citizens Block is a stone building located on a corner in the center of Downtown Rockville facing Central Park, bordered on both sides by 19th-century buildings of similar style, scale and period of construction which interrelates visually in a harmonious way. It provides a period example of the use of Italianate architectural features on a mid-19th century commercial/ residential block. The building is comprised of 15,000 square feet, three to four first floor commercial storefronts, and apartment/office locations on the second and third floor. This building was constructed in 1879 by Builder John G. Bailey, and Architect S.W. Lincoln of Hartford, CT and is a contributing structure to the Rockville National Register of Historic Places District.
Interested individuals and firms should request a copy of the Qualifications Statement and Project Details from the Town Administrator, Town of Vernon, 14 Park Place, Vernon , CT 06066. The Town reserves the right to reject any and all proposals or cancel this procurement at any time it is deemed in the best interest of the Town.
The Town will conduct a pre-proposal informational meeting and site walk on March 22, 2007 at 10:00 AM, at the Vernon Senior Center Lobby, Park Place, Vernon.
The submission deadline will be 11 AM on Thursday, March 29, 2007
According to Oxford Assessment records, the house was built1878 although appears on the 1868 Beers atlas. 108 Oxford Road boasts two end chimneysand an elaborate portico with four pilasters. This two and one-half story whiteclapboard house, with overhanging roof is in imminent danger of demolition. Anew doctor’s office has been approved to be built on the site. The expecteddemolition delay will give potential buyers until September 2008 to remove thehouse from the site for reconstruction on their own lot. The house is offeredfor $1.00.
Contact: SallyD’Souza 203-929-7339
12 Obtuse Road North,Brookfield
The main house was built circa 1820 by Amos Williamsand a cottage was added in 1900. There is also a 20th centurygambrel barn on the 3.81 acre site. The house, which is individually listed onthe State Register for Historic Places, is in need of restoration. Although thehouse itself is in good shape, it sits on a desirable, sub-dividable lot.
Contact: DianeRocconi (203) 788-5536, or email@example.com
Comstock Ferre is possibly the oldest continuously operatingseed company in the nation. In addition to its main building, fronting on Wethersfield's Main Street, theproperty includes a large barn, the oldest section of which was probably builtsometime between the 1840s and the 1880s. The property is located in theWethersfield National Register district and the Wethersfield local historic district. Thebarns on the property recently faced demolition, but the local historicdistrict commission changed their initial ruling to deny the razing and savethe barns.
Contact: JamesNeckermann @ 860-883-6312 or firstname.lastname@example.org