Connecticut Trust For Historic Preservation

The Connecticut Trust’s Easement Properties

These historic properties are all protected by preservation easements held by the Connecticut Trust for Historic Preservation. For more about the Trust’s easements program, see [LINK TO EASEMENTS PAGE 1].

Ashford: Church Farm

The property: Farmhouse with 18th century ell, early 19th-century main block, and Colonial Revival portico, plus barn (1895) and 20 acres of farmland. Individually listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Easement donated 1992 by Joe and Dorothy Church Zaring. Associated farmland donated to Joshua’s Tract Conservation and Historic Trust.

Easement covers: exteriors of house and barn plus historic farming landscape.

Bristol: Marlborough House

The property: Georgian Revival house built 1929. Large lot with open lawn, walled garden and terracing. Individually listed on the National Register. Easement donated 1994 by Brian Hennessey.

Easement covers: exterior of house, garden hardscape (terraces, walls, summer house, etc.), open space.

Darien: Benjamin Weed house

The property: Post-Colonial house built 1785. Listed on the State Register of Historic Places. Bought by CTHP in 1987 to save from demolition. Easement donated 1990 by Robert and Katharine Rohn as a condition of their purchase from Trust. Addition built 2000.

Easement covers: exterior of house.

East Haven: Chidsey-Linsley house

The property: Post-Colonial house with Dutch-influenced roof, built c.1790. Contributing resource in East Haven Green National Register district. Easement donated 2014 by John and Marion Stevens.

Easement covers: Exterior of house, plus interiors of principal rooms.

Guilford: Jonathan Starr house

The property: Georgian house with hip roof and Federal doorway, built c.1732. Contributing resource in the Guilford National Register district; also in the Guilford Local Historic District. Converted to commercial use. Easement donated in 1986 by Nathanael and Jane Greene.

Easement covers: exterior of house and fence.

Guilford: Stone cider mill

The property: Early 19th-century cider mill with intact cider presses and “nut mill” for chopping apples and open space. Contributing resource in the Guilford National Register district; also in the Guilford Local Historic District. Easement donated 2014 by Robert Sperry, descendant of original owner.

Easement covers: exterior and interior of building, built-in cider-making equipment, open space.

Ledyard: Avery homestead

The property: Colonial house built late 17th or early 18th century, with later ell, barn, and shed plus approximately 16 acres of open land. Individually listed on the National Register. Easement donated 1993 by Amos G. Avery.

Easement covers: Exterior of house and outbuildings; interiors of first-story front rooms; open space. Avalonia Land Trust helps with monitoring of land.

Milford: Sanford-Bristol house

The property: Late 18th-century house with unusual roof consisting of gambrel front with porch plus rear leanto. Contributing resource in River Park National Register district, also Local Historic District. Bought by CTHP to prevent demolition. Easement donated in 2014 by Griswold Home Realty CT.

Easement covers: Exterior of house.

New Canaan: Hoyt-Burwell-Morse house

The property: Colonial farmhouse built about 1735, with Colonial Revival additions and modifications. Individually listed on the National Register. Easement donated 2016 after current owners purchased property to prevent its demolition.

Easement covers: Exterior of house.

New Haven: The Eli (former Southern New England Telephone Company Headquarters)

The property: Art Deco office building built 1937. Individually listed on National Register. Easement donated 1997 by Connecticut Properties LLC as condition of purchase from SNET. Converted to apartments.

Easement covers: Exterior of building plus lobby interior.

New Haven: Street Building

The property: Greek Revival commercial structure built in 1832. Contributing resource in the Ninth Square National Register district. Easement donated 2016 by Chapel and State, LLC.

Easement covers: Exterior of building.

New Haven: J. E. Bassett and Company building

The property: Federal/Greek Revival commercial building constructed in 1825. Contributing resource in the Ninth Square National Register district. Easement donated 2016 by Bassett Building, LLC.

Easement covers: Exterior of building.

New Haven: Charles Monson Building

The property: Renaissance Revival commercial building constructed in 1891 and enlarged 1904. Contributing resource in the Ninth Square National Register district. Easement donated 2016 by Monson Building LLC.

Easement covers: Exterior of building plus vacant lot.

New Milford: Gaslight Place Condominiums (Halpine Tobacco Warehouse)

The property: Brick tobacco warehouse built c.1899. Individually listed on National Register. Converted to condominiums. Easement donated 1996 by Jim Carter.

Easement covers: exterior of building.

Norwich: Sherman and Yantic street Rowhouses

The properties: Brick and frame mill worker housing built in the early 19th century. Contributing resources in the Yantic Falls National Register district. Converted to condominiums. Easement donated 1983 by Munro, Jennings and Doig.

Easement covers: exteriors of buildings.

Southbury: Benjamin Osbourne farm

The property: Farmhouse, built c.1810, with barns and other outbuildings. Contributing resources in the Sanford Road National Register district. Purchased by Trust for Public Land to prevent development; farmland sold to Southbury Land Trust. Easement donated 2003 by Trust for Public Land.

Easement covers: exteriors of house and outbuildings.

Pawcatuck (Stonington): William Clark Company Thread Mill

The property: Brick textile mill built 1892, with associated picker house (1892) and storehouse (c.1905). Individually listed on National Register. Easement donated 2008 by Threadmill Acquisition LLC (POKO Partners LLC). Converted to apartments.

Easement covers: exterior of north half of mill plus some secondary buildings.

Woodbury: Perro house

The property: Greek Revival house built c.1850. Contributing resource in Woodbury National Register district no. 1; also Local Historic District. Easement donated 1984 by Harlan Griswold, a founder of the Connecticut Trust.

Easement covers: front and sides of house.

Woodbury: Jabez Bacon house

The property: Georgian house built c.1762. Individually listed on National Register; also contributing resource in Woodbury National Register district no. 1; also Local Historic District. Easement donated 1984 by Harlan Griswold, a founder of the Connecticut Trust.

Easement covers: front and sides of house and outbuilding plus historic fence.

Woodbury: Jabez Bacon store

The property: Colonial store, built c.1760 and converted to residence c.1933. Contributing resource in Woodbury National Register district no. 1; also Local Historic District. Easement donated 1984 by Harlan Griswold, a founder of the Connecticut Trust.

Easement covers: front and sides of house.

Woodbury: Vacant lot

The property: Vacant land in Woodbury National Register district no. 1, also local historic district. Easement donated 1984 by Harlan Griswold, a founder of the Connecticut Trust.

Easement covers: open space.